Intel Announces Arc Pro A-Series Professional GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    So long as it performs better than Nvidia cards running Nouveau, then I'm interested.
    Same! OpenBSD doesn't support nouveau so its is buggy AMDGPU or Intel and up until this point Intel has been integrated only, I would pay for a P series ThinkPad with an Intel professional card in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

You want video output via your iGPU and VAAPI via dGPU for encode/decode?

For example - OpenShot can handle that, including choosing which GPU to offload to for video editing with libopenshot
      No im thinking more complicated again dGPU to dGPU do the videoproccessing on the arc card and outpout from a RTX30 so the powerhungry card sits still and the babycard does the work, it would be the 2nd card in the crippeled full length slot that only gets 4 lanes

Comment

I've read numerous articles about the poor ARC performance that even Intel is now priming consumers for. Until recently Intel claimed it would be some new revolutionary architecture that would vault them into competition with AMD and Nvidia, but just yesterday I read that Intel is now warning it won't even work with many DX9 to DX11 games.

That was really surprising. Not even fully DX11 compatible? It's just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post
          Specs are not impressive at all

​​​​​​Also, they didn't write anything about the price, I guess the reason is that it's higher than Nvidia and AMD have per flops..

Sad.

Hope I misunderstood something.
          I guess the selling point here is that the A40 has a TDP of 50w wich can be completly be drawn from the pcie slot, and a RTX30 card has a min TDP of 150w an needs atleast 1 8 pin pcie power connector not to mention the flagship models that draw over 300w and need 3 connectors, the low TDP was the 1st thing that cought my eye in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Same! OpenBSD doesn't support nouveau so its is buggy AMDGPU or Intel and up until this point Intel has been integrated only, I would pay for a P series ThinkPad with an Intel professional card in it!
            I will use this the next time someone tells me BSD users aren't delusional and fully disconnected from reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

I will use this the next time someone tells me BSD users aren't delusional and fully disconnected from reality.
              For real the AMD and Intel drivers might have bugs on BSD but... compared to nouveau LOL. Nouveau has never been a good driver... its just there so you can boot your system at least so it can tell you to install the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                I've read numerous articles about the poor ARC performance that even Intel is now priming consumers for. Until recently Intel claimed it would be some new revolutionary architecture that would vault them into competition with AMD and Nvidia, but just yesterday I read that Intel is now warning it won't even work with many DX9 to DX11 games.

That was really surprising. Not even fully DX11 compatible? It's just crazy.
                Intel® Arc™ Pro A-Series Graphics for Workstations

If you scroll down you can see those fat DX12Ultimate OpenCL and Vulkan Logos, so if it is DX12.2 Compatible why not with dx9 or dx11? And even if then thats a Software issue not Hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                  Also what is the point of "Pro" GPU here for such low power target and low performance, unless target is maybe transcode performance?
                  This is for the "Pro"fessional workstation market (the same market that the lower end nvidia P620 / amd WX4100 are targeted at), i.e. the entry level Adobe Premier, AutoCad market. This is absolutely not a card targeted towards the extreme gamers (although you can probably run some games on them). For the "Pro"fessional workstation market, low profile, multiple DP outputs with reasonable GPU capabilities can be a useful (and profitable) deliverable. I would expect higher end Pro cards (just like nvidia/amd have) at a later time. An important differentiator here between something like a A380 and an A50 is that the drivers for the "Pro" line are certified for (and with the vendors of) the applications, and since this is about businesses making money, getting, and using certified drivers is critical to the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Get in line behind the Windows guys kiddo. They have been saying we are all delusional for decades!
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 08 August 2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I actually like what I am seeing provided that the performance/$ is good.

Intel usually have great open source drivers for their hardware, so I can see myself buying these.
                      Last edited by Raka555; 08 August 2022, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X