Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Open-Source OpenPGL To Further Enhance Renderers

Phoronix: Intel Releases Open-Source OpenPGL To Further Enhance Renderers

Intel used SIGGRAPH today to announce OpenPGL as what they say is the industry's first open-source library for path guiding so renderer developers can integrate "start of the art" path-guiding methods...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For showcasing the potential of OpenPGL, Intel has adapted Blender to make use of it and will be working to upstream it into the software.
    Now that's the spirit!
    Thanks for that, Intel.

Comment

This image is better to show other improvements, the current Cycles implementation can't do the correct lighting in the water

Another info from the Intel article, the images compared in iso render time, 5 minutes, so besides better image quality you have more realistic rendering

Comment

What about submitting it as standard to Khronos Group?

Anyway, most Intel projects receive nearly zero community support and their Pull Requests get mostly ignored by Intel developers working on them. Plus obviously ignoring mon-Intel and mostly non-x86 platforms, with a few exceptions targeting Apple M1.

So, this and Embree are never going to be relevant.
        Last edited by timofonic; 08 August 2022, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          This image is better to show other improvements, the current Cycles implementation can't do the correct lighting in the water
          I mean there is at least light in the water but it doesn't look realistic. As if someone has overdone the contrast enhancer. Also much more noise.

Edit: In the first picture without water the PGL render has much less noise. So probably better at doing the same and cycles just skips the water therefor less to do and more time for more iterations.
          Last edited by Anux; 08 August 2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Typo: '"start of the art" path-guiding methods.'

Comment

The name sounds too much like OpenGL... I am going to get confused...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                The name sounds too much like OpenGL... I am going to get confused...
                That's what I read in the title.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  What about submitting it as standard to Khronos Group?
                  Khronos is mostly about standardizing APIs, whereas this seems to be just a specific implementation. It's not clear how relevant API standardization would be, in this case.

Comment

In the screenshots it definitely does look better with OpenPGL but why does both sides look awful?

Comment

Working...
                    X