Intel Core i7 1280P Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu vs. Clear Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Look. This System is MUCH slower than Linux. Even Ubuntu is faster.

So i your terms FreeBSD is so slow that it is impossible to use it.
    That article again. Didn't I already mention in the comments to this article that these results don't quite accurately reflect reality?

I recently retested, FreeBSD vs Clear Linux in Firefox in the following benchmarks: WebXPRT4, Speedometer, Kraken, Octane 2.0, Basemark Web 3.0, JetStream 2, MotionMark, SilverBench. Guess what my result was on my hardware? If you take the average, Clear Linux is going to be something like 6% faster than FreeBSD. That's Clear Linux, not one of the many distros that underperform. There are effectively 3 of these benchmarks where FreeBSD is faster..

Gimp opens 2.5s faster on my FreeBSD system than on Clear Linux.. Open multiple heavier apps 0 A.D. or Gnumeric in 1s on my weak hardware + FreeBSD.

NginX is slower on most Linux systems than on FreeBSD. Thats the most poplar server.. PF firewall is faster than the firewall performance of most Linux systems. In the games Dota 2 and CS:GO I got higher performance (FPS) on FreeBSD than on Linux. Do I have to continue much longer?

The idea that Linux is faster than FreeBSD has always been wrong for older hardware in general. FreeBSD has always been better at the things that matter most:

User Review of FreeBSD: 'I have been using FreeBSD as a development environment on several machines for work and personal projects - mainly NodeJS and MongoDB based. I chose FreeBSD as my environment initially because of its speed on older hardware, it allowed me to make use of older laptops and machines that would have otherwise been thrown out. FreeBSD is a modern operating system under active development and to be able run that on older hardware and have it perform so well - is actually quite amazing. I first tried different distributions of Linux, but I had trouble getting them to install or they did not perform on older hardware well at all. From my use of FreeBSD I have come to really really like it, I appreciate it's robustness and performance and I also like that I am using a direct descendant of UNIX.

FreeBSD is a modern operating system under active development and to be able run that on older hardware and have it perform so well - is actually quite amazing. I first tried different distributions of Linux, but I had trouble getting them to install or they did not perform on older hardware well at all.

FreeBSD's bhyve Overview: Why it's better than other hypervisors. At least for our use-case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV61mVYsFM8

networking: In general, in most situations, FreeBSD has the fastest network performance, Linux simply cannot follow in some situations.

the default shell: FreeBSD's Almquist shell has mostly the same syntax as Bash (Linux), but it's on average 4 times faster in performance.

FreeBSD has excellent performance in most databases: https://redbyte.eu/en/blog/postgresq...bian-opensuse/

Which is more stable and more robust, FreeBSD or Linux? https://www.quora.com/Which-is-more-...-Linux?share=1

Docker vs Jails https://www.reddit.com/r/freebsd/com...eb2x&context=3

The delusions of debian https://unixsheikh.com/articles/the-...of-debian.html

FreeBSD/Ubuntu Dual Boot Homelab in The Bedroom by the bed testbed https://adventurist.me/posts/00307

I find the Ubuntu -> Ubuntu reverse test halving the rate very suspicious and want to run the tests again.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
      What franken-OS Pateron-build-of-the-week pirated gaming-tweaked Windows OS are people running to be getting multiple Windows updates a month?
      LowSpecGamer noted that too, when discussing gaming on Windows gaming handhelds vs. the Steam Deck. Every now and then Windows would start to install updates, which causes stuttering/freezing and generally unpleasant gaming experience.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KEYuqRgOE&t=507s (at 8:17 min)

Also there are a number of things that Microsoft updates outside the normal patchday cycle. Antivirus definitions is the most notable example, but also if an vulnerability in Microsoft's DRM is found.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Originally posted by ruthan
      Majority of people still using Windows 10 and windows 11 has known performance issues So test design sucks.
      Over a billion users run Windows 10 and citations needed.
      Windows 11 marketshare is 23.1% as of June 2022 according to AdDuplex.
      Windows 11 has a 23.1% market share in AdDuplex’s June 2022 report, which represents a 3,4% points progression in two months.

Paul Thurrott notes that this is likely an overestimate and it will take Windows 11 several more years to catch up to Windows 10.

About performance it is generally the same though some bad regressions exist which points to Microsoft not testing properly, or testing and not caring about the degradation.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        We've not discussed or argued about W10/W11 market shares - I don't fucking understand why you provided this absolutely irrelevant data.

I asked for citations for "horrible Windows performance because of Windows Defender". You've provided none.

Open Source fans continues to deliver. Nonsense, whataboutisms, irrelevant data and anecdotal evidence. I'm not going to waste any more of my time in this idiotic discussion.

Comment

First off, let's address the powersave governor in Linux. I don't know a single distro which enables it by default.
          If memory serves, arch and manjaro default to it at least on intel cpus. But you're right the ones marketed at being consumer friendly like ubuntu should have powersaving and performance configuration sets that are easy to switch between. whether it defaults to one or the other is up for debate though but they should have this. And they don't, which probably contributes quite a bit to linux's poor battery life compared to it's competition on laptops.

Comment

We've not discussed or argued about W10/W11 market shares - I don't fucking understand why you provided this absolutely irrelevant data.

I asked for citations for "horrible Windows performance because of Windows Defender". You've provided none.
            I on purpose included the quoted text in your quote, because of your usual lack of reading comprehension and coherency.

The quoted text to which you replied by asking for citations made two claims
            1. Majority of people still use Windows 10 [and not 11]
            2. Windows 11 has known performance issues
            I have provided citations for both of these claims.

About how Windows Defender destroys performance that is another matter. Much of it comes from synchronous checking which delays file access. Chromium compile is a good example, enabling Windows defender drastically increases startup times of the various build tools (Phoronix does normally not test Chromium compilation I think, maybe Michael can clarify how compile performance is between Windows and Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              I on purpose included the quoted text in your quote, because of your usual lack of reading comprehension and coherency.

The quoted text to which you replied by asking for citations made two claims
              1. Majority of people still use Windows 10 [and not 11]
              2. Windows 11 has known performance issues
              I have provided citations for both of these claims.

About how Windows Defender destroys performance that is another matter. Much of it comes from synchronous checking which delays file access. Chromium compile is a good example, enabling Windows defender drastically increases startup times of the various build tools (Phoronix does normally not test Chromium compilation I think, maybe Michael can clarify how compile performance is between Windows and Linux).
              https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...-my-build-slow
              99.9% of Windows users never ever compile software. So, again, any proofs of "horrible performance due to Windows Defender"? Actually don't bother. Windows 10 alone has over 1.3 billion of users which is roughly 100 times more than the users of all Linux distros combined. I find it hard to believe that a billion of users use an OS which is slow as molasses. Must be something endemic to Linux users who cannot stop shitting on Windows and making stuff up.

The video about W10 v W11 did not show any significant W11 slowdowns either. And it's ~ten months old. This is just utterly ridiculous.

Comment

99.9% of Windows users never ever compile software. So, again, any proofs of "horrible performance due to Windows Defender"? Actually don't bother. Windows 10 alone has over 1.3 billion of users which is roughly 100 times more than the users of all Linux distros combined. I find it hard to believe that a billion of users use an OS which is slow as molasses. Must be something endemic to Linux users who cannot stop shitting on Windows and making stuff up.

The video about W10 v W11 did not show any significant W11 slowdowns either. And it's ~ten months old. This is just utterly ridiculous.
                Did you know that if you set the task bar to auto-hide, it brings a huge slow-down every time the task bar hiding animation takes place?
                All my applications slow down to 20-30FPS during the animation, and this doesn't happen under X11 or even Wayland (tested with both GNOME and KDE).

Sometimes other animations (even fading animations) will trigger slow-downs as well.

Dragging a window will stop rendering on that window unless:
                - you don't move your mouse for about 5 seconds while holding the button, or
                - the application doesn't render on the thread which created the window (rare)
                This doesn't happen under X11 or Wayland.

Disk I/O performance is terrible under Windows, and it gets worse when Windows Defender is on. If you don't believe me, look at benchmarks on every site out there and you'll see.
                The main reason people don't care is because disk I/O performance isn't really important on a typical business setup (office applications, web browser and printing) or on a typical gaming setup.
                If you are not going to bother doing this for us (come on, all it takes is searching for "defender slowdown") then you should close this page.

It is true that Linux also has its issues as well, like the entire X11 session freezing for several seconds under extreme I/O load, and the memory pressure stall due to Linux not keeping executable data in memory at all times...

...but it doesn't mean Linux is worse than Windows.

Comment

Proprietary Intel drivers for Linux when....

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

performance isn't really important on a typical business setup (office applications, web browser and printing) or on a typical gaming setup,
                    or typical engineer setup, graphical setup, musician setup etc. 99% setup.

Comment

Cool, not a single legitimate comment about where the discrepancy originates or what needs to be addressed. Party on.

Comment

Working...
                      X