Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Classical View Post

If Clear Linux is 10% faster today,
    Are you using Clear Linux on your desktop? Or maybe you recommended Clear Linux than Ubuntu for new users to feel speed??

this usually means that Clear Linux will often be >35% faster on average in 10 years.
    "Usually"

I don't know if you know, but Clear Linux is only 7 years old.

Comment

Do PEE cores even have the same instruction sets like avx?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

First off, let's address the powersave governor in Linux. I don't know a single distro which enables it by default. Absolute most use `ondemand` or `schedutil`. What Linux lacks however is proper support for Intel Thread Director. If I'm not mistaken the kernel has learned to recognize P/E cores recently but there's no userspace application to shuffle tasks between cores yet, and it's sorely needed.

The systems are wildly different in how they approach things so it's hard to say which one is faster/better.

My Fedora 36 system gets roughly 100-200 updates monthly, while Windows updates just once a month and does so only when rebooting the system, so this (down) time can be glossed over.

Linuxes have no AV at all, and to be honest I've never noticed my Windows 10 slowing down randomly in games because both Windows Defender and all other AVs have long learned to detect full screen applications running and they normally stop any background scanning when you're gaming.

Powershell vs Linux graphical terminals? The latter are barebone and only run your shell (normally bash) which is a simple enough C application. Power Shell is a rich programming environment which features thousands of calls. cmd.exe which closely mimics Linux graphical emulators + simple shells starts in a split second.
        are you running windows 7 ?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Powershell vs Linux graphical terminals? The latter are barebone and only run your shell (normally bash) which is a simple enough C application. Power Shell is a rich programming environment which features thousands of calls. cmd.exe which closely mimics Linux graphical emulators + simple shells starts in a split second.
          Ok, congratulations, you just wrote the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Real drama .

Most users uses laptops and just system sleep, so their Windows runs weeks without restart or system on/off.
            To bad I'm not most but me. So you're telling me the Apple way that "I'm using it wrong"? But my Linux works fine while using it "wrong" and that was my point. There is no drama besides the one you're making. Every user interaction and system administration is just noticably faster on my Linux.

Only linux fans wonders this kind of problem.
            No I know many people that never used Linux complaining about this stuff.

Maybe on old, slow SSD. On cheap NVME like Kingston kc2500 like mine it's not true. You can start programs immediately.
            Nah, Samsung NVMe OEM and this is on basically every Win 10 machine I've seen to this day. Also my point is, a Linux does'nt have those wait times on the same hardware.

Originally posted by Espionage724
            What franken-OS Pateron-build-of-the-week pirated gaming-tweaked Windows OS are people running to be getting multiple Windows updates a month?
            Probably the official ones that still get all updates from MS? The question should be what are you doing wrong to not get these updates (old build, not activated)? On the current system I'm on, the last updates are from 18.7. and 13.7. But the problem is that even searching for updates is enough to make a game stutter and there is also no way to prevent that from happening any time.
            Also my gaming machine is not running every day so there may be 2 months of updates accumulated while I just wan't to game with no micro stutters.

If it wouldn't take Windows longer to search for updates than it takes Linux to do the whole update process I would just do them manually after each start and never bother further but I want to game at some point and not wast half of my little time babysitting Windows.

Sounds like another busted OS install.
            So how does one install a Windows without busting it? Can you give me a good wiki link? I thought working for 20 years in that field is enough to click through the standard Windows ISO install and not bust something? Linux install is just a few ok buttons and everything is fine, why can't it be that easy?

I can write up and visually show how busted Linux can be easily if I toss on some non-ideal kernel options or set some environment variables with experimental RADV and Mesa stuff.
            And why would you do that? Investing extra work to make somthing broken that wouldn't be if you diddn't move a finger? Is this a Windows user thing?

I strive for max gaming performance, and even in 2022 Windows still wins hands-down for that.
            Just a tip, many games run faster in wine than in native Windows, so you should probably switch the system. But I use Win for gaming because every other game has just some speciality to consider when using wine also GPU undervolting is easier/possible in Win.

General usage is notably better too largely because of DWM being properly GPU-accelerated
            I don't care about specific implementations, I just want a smooth experience while interacting/administrating my system. And Linux is just smooth while Win 10 regulary takes a second to think about what it should do next or does stuff when it shouldn't with no way to change that behavior. And no I'm not changing my behavior to please my OS, the OS should change and please me, thats the whole idea behind software, be a helpful tool for the user.
            The problem is probably much more evident for someone that uses both systems regulary and sees how it could be done so much better.
            Last edited by Anux; 04 August 2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Majority of people still using Windows 10 and windows 11 has known performance issues So test design sucks.

Comment

Are you using Clear Linux on your desktop? Or maybe you recommended Clear Linux than Ubuntu for new users to feel speed??
                I use FreeBSD as my desktop. But if I were to choose a Linux system, I would probably choose Clear Linux. It's surprisingly easy to install and use, in my experience it's not a system as hard as NixOS, even Arch Linux seemed much harder to me.

"Usually"

I don't know if you know, but Clear Linux is only 7 years old.
                I'm basing this on how FreeBSD behaves on my 10 year old hardware. In Octane I get around 30400 on an i3-3240 with 4GB DDR3 RAM single channel and in JetStream 2 I get around 94. Windows11 won't get equally high results, I'm guessing windows11 scores >35% lower on average. I know countless Windows11 users who score 20% lower in the aforementioned benchmarks with a 50% faster CPU, in the same browser..

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                  Majority of people still using Windows 10 and windows 11 has known performance issues So test design sucks.
                  Over a billion users run Windows 10 and citations needed.

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  Do PEE cores even have the same instruction sets like avx?
                  P and E cores support exactly the same instruction set. With an earlier batch of ADL CPUs AVX512 could be unlocked but then Intel started to fuse off the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post

I use FreeBSD as my desktop.
                    Look. This System is MUCH slower than Linux. Even Ubuntu is faster.

So i your terms FreeBSD is so slow that it is impossible to use it.

111111111111111111111111111111111111111.jpg
                    Last edited by HEL88; 04 August 2022, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I just took a Windows tablet out of the closet, did some updates (lasted around 2 hours) and now it doesn't log into my profile and says "temporary profile", thats not the first time this bullshit happens and most of the time you need to delete the old profile in the registry and on disk and make a complete new one. Thats your super duper Windows experience right there. Can't make up this stuff. Sorry for another rant but I'm curious what excuses come from our fellow Windows fans here. Even if Windows never makes me smile you guys always do.

Comment

Working...
                      X