Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Begins Shifting 6th To 10th Gen Intel Processor Graphics To Legacy Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Begins Shifting 6th To 10th Gen Intel Processor Graphics To Legacy Support

Phoronix: Intel Begins Shifting 6th To 10th Gen Intel Processor Graphics To Legacy Support

Intel today confirmed they are moving their 6th to 10th Gen Intel Processor Graphics (basically all the "Gen9" graphics hardware going back to the Skylake days) to their legacy support model. This primarily impacts Windows but longer-term may have some implications for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So systems from as new as 2020 could be considered legacy? That's kind of shitty, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
      So systems from as new as 2020 could be considered legacy? That's kind of shitty, to be honest.
      I was going to mention the same thing. I mean, they're within their rights I guess, but it says a lot about the world we live in...

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
        it's shitty, but at least it's not as bad as a lot of ARM SoCs that for years have been considered legacy as soon as they hit the market and get at best 2-3 years of "only critical fixes and security vulnerabilities" addressed before even that minimal support ends.

Comment

The solution for those poor Windows users is the same for both AMD & Intel GPUs:

Just switch over to Linux!

Now when will Valve finally release that SteamOS ISO for the general public?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            The solution for those poor Windows users is the same for both AMD & Intel GPUs:

Just switch over to Linux!

Now when will Valve finally release that SteamOS ISO for the general public?
            Actually switch over to Nvidia. I have still laptop with i7 4712mq and gtx850m. 4712mq is long not supported, meanwhile nvidia still does support it with new features.

Comment

Typo buyndling

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Typo buyndling
                Whoops, fixed, thanks.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                  Actually switch over to Nvidia. I have still laptop with i7 4712mq and gtx850m. 4712mq is long not supported, meanwhile nvidia still does support it with new features.
                  This specification details the Intel processors that can be used with Windows 11 customer systems that include Windows products, including custom images.

Bad news your complete CPU is worse than legacy because it over 5 year old. Microsoft Windows and intel does not promise that your CPU works correctly any more. Yes you can check the still officially support windows 7 CPU and those only go back 5 years as well.

Legacy under the intel model still gets security fixes. Unsupported that your CPU is does not get security fixes. So faults found that only effect 5 year or older CPUs windows is not getting mitigation.

Microsoft use to have a 10 year model when it came to these things it has shrunk to 5 years. Now with Intel doing legacy at 2-3 years now question is this going to shrink to 2-3 years as well. Yes 10 to 5 year shrink started with GPU support past 5 years old by intel being declared legacy as well.

I guess you were not thinking at this point that if you get a Windows update that breaks your system you are technically using a unsupported system so Microsoft can leave you with the broken pieces. .

Yes your laptop being Nvidia putting Linux on it to get security mitigation is going to be harder due Nvidia drivers not being mainline Linux kernel. Yes choosing Nvidia GPU only minor help against what is happening if you are staying on Windows.

Yes the recent GUC issue with the Linux kernel was also part Intel developers attempting to ignore systems older than 5 years. The Linux kernel maintainers will insist that hardware under 15 years old that is supported by the Linux kernel keeps on working if they work out its broken by some patch. Yes they will reject the patches as what happened with GUC and Intel recently.

As this write up said windows users are effected worse than Linux ones. Main reason for this difference is the Linux kernel maintainer will refuse to take patches that break userspace and in lot cases legacy support.

Yes igpu not being support is one thing but people have failed to 6 to 10th Gen is the iGPU part but the 6 and 7 Gen CPU part is already unsupported.

Yes that 4712mq is long not supported is correct being a 4Gen cpu . Not only its igpu is not supported if you are using Windows but the CPU as well.

Interesting point that 4712mq integrated graphics is support by the third party Crocus Gallium3D in mesa under Linux. So Linux users are getting new features with that old graphics hardware from Intel and is also getting more security updates for old Intel CPUs than Windows.

There is a growing divide between Linux and Windows on older hardware. Yes systems were its hard to install Linux we are heading down the path that in a few years they will be coming e-waste if you are wanting a secure windows computer. We are heading to growing ewaste problem because the Life span of devices is getting sort due to shorter supported time frames.

The big thing here this shorter life span problem cannot really be addressed by Nvidia. Android that google problem that google is trying to address with stricter and stricter kernel rules, Windows that Microsoft problem and they are really letting the death by 1000 cuts starting with 10 years difting to 5 years now on a path to drift to 2-3 years.

Do you really want your Windows desktop/laptop to have the same security lifespan as a current day Android phone? Because that is where we heading. Its going to get stupid the day any random Android has a long secure lifespan than Windows. I could see valve at some point saying old hardware you want to game you have to run steam OS so we know you are not getting hacked by know exploits and this is just because of the path we are on.

Comment

Honestly, on windows the intel graphic driver only is getting worse since 10 years. It runs slower and slower using more and more space disk and memory bandwidth for no apparent result. They added like multi screen support, and that's it. I even wonder if the perf in game are also getting worse every update. Unlike linux version which improved quite a lot. On windows every time a graphic driver company says there is perf improvement you get backdoored by crapy software analyzing your pc to falsly pretend adjusting the settings, just making everything run worse. I updated my graphic driver on windows like 2 times per graphic card. One version generally can bring regression depending you the puzzle of you hardware assembly. On top of that on windows when you update your graphic driver, it create a mess in the hive. The more your update your driver, the more you install program on windows, the quicker your computer will become slow, and the quicker you will need to format. Therefore the only OS on which it seems legit and usefull to upgrade graphic driver, is Linux. On top of that despite updating everything on this platform, and installing software all the time, the computer after few years runs as good as first day install.
                    Last edited by Jahimself; 27 July 2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X