Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh GuC: Intel ADL-P Graphics On Linux 5.19 Will Break Unless You Also Upgrade Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
    there's a nuance you might not be picking up on.
    Do you somehow not understand that these crusades are *about* removing not just nuance, but actual meaning, from words?

If your past behavior was so poor that even you realize you were part of the problem, I'll take your word for it. However, it seems to me that you've simply swung so far to the other side that you're *still* part of the problem, engendering conflict and now *actively* attempting to bully and diminish others rather than inadvertently doing so through callousness, while being sanctimonious about it as well.
    We would all be a lot better off without the assholes at *either* extreme.

To return to the topic at hand: good to know that the GuC has its DRM and HaaS aspects taken care of. It's always important to keep the needs of exploitative corporations in mind. :P
    More seriously though, gj to Michael for raising the issue, and to airlied for addressing it appropriately.
    (edit: and bonus points for the title! ElReg-worthy. )
    Last edited by arQon; 15 July 2022, 04:07 AM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of being policed.
      But from the rest of your post everything is pointing to you beeing a PC fanboy. No sane person is offended by calling something a master branch or blacklist. If we police our language to the point that no one is offended we can't talk to each other anymore.

Where does that end? If you say "deny list", the next guy comes around telling you that lists where used by the Nazis to help mass murder jews and other people.
      I no longer say that anyone was 'thrown under the bus'.
      If that was the cause of someones death, then it makes perfect sense to not say this in front of its nearest friends and family for a few years. But if you think your strategy through, how many causes of death are there in the world? Not much left of your language if you try to avoid using words that might remind someone of a way to die.
      The use of 'tribe' almost always refers to groups of people, and the implication is... that that they're 'less civilized' people who are in conflict.
      No, tribe just describes a group of people mostly in the past but there are also still tribes today. Beeing less civilized or in conflict (which conflict anyway?) is just a projection of your state of mind and tells more about you than the people your'e trying to police.
      Where are all those tribes that publicly say they hate beeing called tribes?

IMO, using inclusive jargon helps professionalize the whole field.
      If you think blowing up simple sentences is professional, maybe. To me those trying to speak PC are allways sounding pretty hillarious and I never seen someone that is consistent in his way of PC speaking.

Banning words has never improved anything, just take a look at the censorship from youtube (they demonetize you if you use certain words). Now everyone say freakin' instead of fuckin' but the meaning is 100 % the same and everyone knows it. In a few years the dictonary will tell you that fuckin' is a deprecated way of saying freakin'. Next you need to replace freakin' and then the word that you replaced it with.
      Ofcourse that won't happen with deny list, because blacklist was never used to discriminate people. But if you replace a word that actually is used to discriminate, its replacement will allways be used to discriminate.
      The problem is not the words but the people that use it. If I want to be mean I can be mean by using the most PC and flowery language possible.

Comment

I've been reading Phoronix daily since I was in undergrad. It is the only news site I read daily. Michael gets by on a shoestring budget when he has a wife and maybe a child, I'm not sure and does all this awesome work for the Linux, *BSD, Illumnos, alt OS world and gets almost 0 thanks. I had enough money to buy life time membership but chose to buy it annually so I can help his work more. While I prefer OpenBSD and FreeBSD to Linux nowadays this site is invaluable and I for one just want to say way to go sir and keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          You know, whenever I read anything you post here on Phoronix forums, I do not agree with your point of view. Except for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

You may have your reasons, and I really do respect that. But that's one thing and another is spending 0.5MUSD in an foundation expressely built for policying the names others put to their project branches/whatever. Seriously, can't you see how much of that money could be used to fund seriously understaffed projects?

GIMP is still in GTK2!
            What's the 'cost' of all the people who aren't in the industry because it's viewed as a toxic environment by folks who aren't white males? I think it's probably in the tens of billions per year, perhaps more. This isn't 'the one solution', but modernizing the language to be more inclusive seems like an investment.

Perhaps you missed it... I don't think this is 'Orwellian policing', nobody marched over to my cube and said that my language was wrong. The changes have been cultural, happening all around us for decades. IMO, this is more of a helpful guide than a book of laws.

And you're still missing the whole thing about the use of 'tribes'. Nobody says you can't be proud of your heritage in a tribal culture... nobody is saying 'tribes' are bad. What we're saying is that in the typical conversational context, e.g., "The Desktop Printer Tribe vs the Paperless Tribe", there's an echo of colonialism.

Comment

What's the 'cost' of all the people who aren't in the industry because it's viewed as a toxic environment by folks who aren't white males? I think it's probably in the tens of billions per year, perhaps more. This isn't 'the one solution', but modernizing the language to be more inclusive seems like an investment.
              Tens of billions is probably a huge understatement when about half of the population is excluded based on gender alone.

Comment

Since it is well known that "he who pays the piper calls the tune," for the Linux Foundation to fund Michael and Phoronix could save them a lot of time and money elsewhere down the road. For the sheer amount of money that servers running Linux pull in, there is a lot of potential value and "fanout" here. The alternative is to let bugs in general get all the way out to production servers (and cost people like Red Hat and their customers money), or to run the same detailed, "drill down" testing on a set of dedicated test servers. These servers already exist at Phoronix, and with this sort of funding Michael could get more of them and already has labor-saving automated tools worked out to multiply their effectiveness.

Catching bugs like this one while still in the RC stage could save a lot of people a lot of money. While this bug hits Intel accelerated graphics, the next one could hit RAID handling or something else critical to server users. How many linux servers on the entire planet get paid tech support from someone when something goes wrong? For that matter, how many people would take their desktop to someone they pay to fix the problem if their package manager feeds them this bug with a kernel update. What does all this add up to, and how much more does it add up to than paying experts who already exist and already have excellent hardware and tools to catch these things ONCE, before reaching rc-3?

Comment

What's the 'cost' of all the people who aren't in the industry because it's viewed as a toxic environment by folks who aren't white males?
                  Ah yes, all the poor people that gave up on tech because people use terms such as "blacklisting" and "master". I'm really sick of seeing deluded first worlders with too few problems in their lives make up imaginary problems because they want to feel virtuous. Here's a hint, sane, mentally healthy people capable of using their brains don't think of slavery and throw a tantrum when they look at a git repo and see a branch called master, nor do they actively look for problems to get mad at where there are none.

I have never seen or heard of anyone get offended by such regular terminology up until some privileged people on twitter(who are almost completely white just like the people you blame everything on) started to get outraged over nothing.

Comment

Perhaps you missed it... I don't think this is 'Orwellian policing', nobody marched over to my cube and said that my language was wrong. The changes have been cultural, happening all around us for decades. IMO, this is more of a helpful guide than a book of laws.

And you're still missing the whole thing about the use of 'tribes'. Nobody says you can't be proud of your heritage in a tribal culture... nobody is saying 'tribes' are bad. What we're saying is that in the typical conversational context, e.g., "The Desktop Printer Tribe vs the Paperless Tribe", there's an echo of colonialism.
                    So this is all about "white males", right? You guys create controversies out of nothing dude...

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

So this is all about "white males", right? You guys create controversies out of nothing dude...
                      Privileged white people (mostly on twitter) pretending to be worried about imaginary problems has been a thing for quite now. They gotta feel virtuous and good without doing anything meaningful, you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X