Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh GuC: Intel ADL-P Graphics On Linux 5.19 Will Break Unless You Also Upgrade Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asriel View Post
    Do you really think it happen with 5.19? 5.18 require v69 GuC firmware, 5.17 is working only with 62, if you go back there will be more and more outdated firmwares. And there was no backwards compatibility for GUC versions - new firmware introduce new API new API got coded into the driver. This is the way intel develop the drivers, and in fact it makes no big deal. Firmware is available in linux-firmware package, so no problem to get a latest firmware for latest kernel.

I agree that it is better to have completely opensourced driver without this bunary parts , opensourced bios and so on - but unfortunately it is not so and yes a lot of drivers need this binary firmware. But I am curious why the change of the binary firmware version from 69 to 70 deserves such big article here. Intel is not replacing open-sourced driver with a binary firmware, it is just replacing one binary firmware with another binary firmware - and you can keep both versions in your lib/firmware and the kernel will automatically choose which version to pick up. I keep 62, 69 and 70 - as on my Dell XPS-13 9310 hibernation is broken from kernel 5.18 so I still use 5.17-zen series for productive work, and try the updated 5.18 , 5.19 from time to time and they all boot without an issue
    The difference to previously is the guc fw wasn't enabled by default prior to this.

On ADL-P the default behaviour is to use the GuC fw, so it will break existing systems if you just update the kernel and not install new fw. If users have been using i915.enable_guc on older hardware it would have broken a few times, but since it's not an out of the box option, it probably wasn't noticed or reported.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I wish I wouldn't have gone to their website. I learned there's actually a thing called the Inclusive Naming Initiative. They're spending some of that $500,000yr Platinum Membership money on THAT but not for Phoronix that is actually doing something meaningful for the world?

If the rest of y'all want some funny reading, their wordlists and reasons are hilarious. I noticed this one:

On their Tier 3 words they have Tribe as a naughty world and one of their sponsors is friggin Cloud Native. Talk about irony, folks. ...
      What a great post. Love it! This kind of stuff is just insane. Banning a word like tribe which is just a certain sound which may or may not have a meaning depending on what language you speak is nonsense.

For example something as innocent as buttoning up something in Norwegian is not very innocent in Danish.... In fact it may result in additional new people that eventually learn that a certain sound or word is offensive.

Absolutely ridiculous. And I of all people should understand since I am suffering from misophonia and really to find sounds repulsive, but you know what .. I do not understand this one bit!

When I grew up mommy told me to not worry about what the mean kids said. That was a valuable lesson. Today it seems that the word 'not' has been removed from those wise words, and what intention people has if not so important anymore... Absolutely nonsense! Fight the "oh I am offended" hysteria!!!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        On their Tier 3 words they have Tribe as a naughty world and one of their sponsors is friggin Cloud Native. Talk about irony, folks. For those of you who don't get that, in US History the Natives are the folks who lived in Tribes. Since they like to use US History as their reason for the season, I think it's a bit hypocritical of them to cherry-pick what words are and aren't acceptable from our history. Why can't they call themselves Cloud Indigenous in respect of Native Americans? Is changing -march=native to -march=indigenous that big of a deal?
        I'm not a fan of being policed, but I have noticed that a lot of the language used casually in tech could make some people feel like they're unwelcome. Personally, I've stopped 'segregating', 'blacklisting', and developing on 'master' branches. I used to be defensive about these things, but a friend and colleague lost a family member in a tragic accident and I started to realize that casual terms can cause pain. I no longer say that anyone was 'thrown under the bus'. I no longer joke about needing doc 'in case I careen off the road' or 'keel over and die'. I no longer make sex jokes about cluster members 'going down on each other'. Those were all common expressions in my work environments, but they stopped being funny years ago.

As for 'Cloud Native' vs. 'Tribe', there's a nuance you might not be picking up on. The 'native' in 'Cloud Native' isn't about people, nor is the adjective 'native' derogatory. The use of 'tribe' almost always refers to groups of people, and the implication is... that that they're 'less civilized' people who are in conflict.

IMO, using inclusive jargon helps professionalize the whole field. Also, there's a LOT of distance between 'phasing-out wording that could offend or exclude people' and 'rigid enforcement of Orwellian wokeness'.
        Last edited by mangeek; 15 July 2022, 02:29 AM.

Comment

That bullshit from the Linux foundation has the potential to drive me away from Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
            That bullshit from the Linux foundation has the potential to drive me away from Linux.
            You're going to be driven away from an OS based on what some unrelated company does?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

You're going to be driven away from an OS based on what some unrelated company does?
              The Foundation is unrelated to the OS? Wow, and here I was thinking they were responsible for the most core part of the OS, the kernel...

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I'm not a fan of being policed, but I have noticed that a lot of the language used casually in tech could make some people feel like they're unwelcome. Personally, I've stopped 'segregating', 'blacklisting', and developing on 'master' branches. I used to be defensive about these things, but a friend and colleague lost a family member in a tragic accident and I started to realize that casual terms can cause pain. I no longer say that anyone was 'thrown under the bus'. I no longer joke about needing doc 'in case I careen off the road' or 'keel over and die'. I no longer make sex jokes about cluster members 'going down on each other'. Those were all common expressions in my work environments, but they stopped being funny years ago.

As for 'Cloud Native' vs. 'Tribe', there's a nuance you might not be picking up on. The 'native' in 'Cloud Native' isn't about people, nor is the adjective 'native' derogatory. The use of 'tribe' almost always refers to groups of people, and the implication is... that that they're 'less civilized' people who are in conflict.

IMO, using inclusive jargon helps professionalize the whole field. Also, there's a LOT of distance between 'phasing-out wording that could offend or exclude people' and 'rigid enforcement of Orwellian wokeness'.
                You may have your reasons, and I really do respect that. But that's one thing and another is spending 0.5MUSD in an foundation expressely built for policying the names others put to their project branches/whatever. Seriously, can't you see how much of that money could be used to fund seriously understaffed projects?

GIMP is still in GTK2!

Comment

At the same time people die because of cars, soft drinks, other people named Jack (the ripper).... Yet we accept these words don't we? I would say that is better to build resilience and accept than than meet disgust with disgust...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

If someone feels unwelcome because language hurts his or hers feelings, then he or she is not a grown up adult and may invest time in growing up first. Master branch, Blacklisting, Segregating, Cloud Native and whatever Tribe all should not be able to hurt any grown up adult.

Your whole standpoint screams backwards thinking American anglosaxian to me, in the real world, outside the Americas, Tribal history is celebrated, from the Slavic, Germanic and Celthic tribes that created modern Europas diversity in language and culture to the great tribes of the Mongolian planes that influenced all of Eurasia, the Semitic tribes that founded countries like Egypt, Ethiopia and Israel.

If anything, this Orwellian level language policing you support helps making the workplace a dry, unappealing, desocialized place people hate to go to. If that is professionalism to you, then you lost it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                      If someone feels unwelcome because language hurts his or hers feelings, then he or she is not a grown up adult and may invest time in growing up first.
                      perhaps in the future you should read what you wrote here before writing multiple paragraphs whining about what language other people choose to use.

Comment

Working...
                      X