Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh GuC: Intel ADL-P Graphics On Linux 5.19 Will Break Unless You Also Upgrade Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh GuC: Intel ADL-P Graphics On Linux 5.19 Will Break Unless You Also Upgrade Firmware

Phoronix: Oh GuC: Intel ADL-P Graphics On Linux 5.19 Will Break Unless You Also Upgrade Firmware

As a public service announcement for those who already have bought an Alder Lake P laptop or thinking of getting one, with kernel upgrades you need to be cautious/aware now of breaking accelerated graphics support due to versioned firmware requirements around the GuC micro-controller. While I am surprised Linus Torvalds allows this or wonder if he even is aware of it given his past statements on Linux kernel updates not breaking user-space, the Intel GuC firmware handling being versioned and not supporting backwards compatibility can throw a wrench into your upgrade experience like with the upcoming Linux 5.19 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I understand this correctly, we are talking about a release candidate but not a stable release yet. Last minute changes should not happen at this stage, unless they are for fixing a problem. I suspect that Linus missed this, but I'm not sure what will happen now. Revert the change out of principle, or let it slide?
    Personally, I'd tend to the former.

Comment

Similar thing happened on my HP laptop a couple of years ago. Upgrade kernel and got blank screen until i upgraded UEFI. The kernel does break stuff from time to time. Impossible not to, but should still strive to not do it.

Comment

Well found, I've mentioned this is in no way acceptable.

Comment

Another case where Michael shows how valuable his contribution is. Is the Linux Foundation a platinum member (and supporter) of Phoronix already? They need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
            Another case where Michael shows how valuable his contribution is. Is the Linux Foundation a platinum member (and supporter) of Phoronix already? They need to be.
            Lol, not a single Linux Foundation executive or prominent member (no one I can recall or with @linuxfoundation.org) has ever joined Phoronix Premium / tipped / otherwise let alone at an organization level.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Lol, not a single Linux Foundation executive or prominent member (no one I can recall or with @linuxfoundation.org) has ever joined Phoronix Premium / tipped / otherwise let alone at an organization level.
              I wish I wouldn't have gone to their website. I learned there's actually a thing called the Inclusive Naming Initiative. They're spending some of that $500,000yr Platinum Membership money on THAT but not for Phoronix that is actually doing something meaningful for the world?

If the rest of y'all want some funny reading, their wordlists and reasons are hilarious. I noticed this one:

On their Tier 3 words they have Tribe as a naughty world and one of their sponsors is friggin Cloud Native. Talk about irony, folks. For those of you who don't get that, in US History the Natives are the folks who lived in Tribes. Since they like to use US History as their reason for the season, I think it's a bit hypocritical of them to cherry-pick what words are and aren't acceptable from our history. Why can't they call themselves Cloud Indigenous in respect of Native Americans? Is changing -march=native to -march=indigenous that big of a deal?

Comment

I wish the Linux Foundation would sponsor Michael. Good, practical bleeding edge testing isn't easy/cheap.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                (Stuff)
                Hey, you're virtue signalling in reverse here. Drop it.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I wish I wouldn't have gone to their website. I learned there's actually a thing called the Inclusive Naming Initiative. They're spending some of that $500,000yr Platinum Membership money on THAT but not for Phoronix that is actually doing something meaningful for the world?
                  I like the nature of problems your guys have there in America
                  But jokes aside, welcome to the world of funny spendings. I know what it feels like. Let me suggest you something if you don't mind: consider digging down and finding out more of their spendings, and even maybe calling them out for doing so.

Comment

Do you really think it happen with 5.19? 5.18 require v69 GuC firmware, 5.17 is working only with 62, if you go back there will be more and more outdated firmwares. And there was no backwards compatibility for GUC versions - new firmware introduce new API new API got coded into the driver. This is the way intel develop the drivers, and in fact it makes no big deal. Firmware is available in linux-firmware package, so no problem to get a latest firmware for latest kernel.

I agree that it is better to have completely opensourced driver without this bunary parts , opensourced bios and so on - but unfortunately it is not so and yes a lot of drivers need this binary firmware. But I am curious why the change of the binary firmware version from 69 to 70 deserves such big article here. Intel is not replacing open-sourced driver with a binary firmware, it is just replacing one binary firmware with another binary firmware - and you can keep both versions in your lib/firmware and the kernel will automatically choose which version to pick up. I keep 62, 69 and 70 - as on my Dell XPS-13 9310 hibernation is broken from kernel 5.18 so I still use 5.17-zen series for productive work, and try the updated 5.18 , 5.19 from time to time and they all boot without an issue

Comment

Working...
                    X