Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.20 Looks To Be Primed For Usable DG2/Alchemist Desktop Graphics & ATS-M Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.20 Looks To Be Primed For Usable DG2/Alchemist Desktop Graphics & ATS-M Support

Phoronix: Linux 5.20 Looks To Be Primed For Usable DG2/Alchemist Desktop Graphics & ATS-M Support

After many months and a lot of work by the open-source Intel Linux graphics driver developers, Linux 5.20 looks like it will be the base kernel where the DG2/Alchemist Arc Graphics desktop GPUs and Arctic Sound M (ATS-M) server graphics card support will be ready in usable shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Intel primed for Alchemist?

Anywhere this generation of GPUs?

It's gonna look extra silly when they release a 3050/6600 tier "high end" card when Nvidia will drop the 4080s and AMD will announce the 7800 xt...

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
      Is Intel primed for Alchemist?

Anywhere this generation of GPUs?

It's gonna look extra silly when they release a 3050/6600 tier "high end" card when Nvidia will drop the 4080s and AMD will announce the 7800 xt...
      I frankly think people have been too harsh and unfair on the Intel A380.

It is for OEMs for $150, and at its price it is the best option if the benchmarks are correct: https://youtu.be/9jsZBpTfwfw

For the most part it outperforms a 1650 which can be found for $200. It is not fair to compare a modern released GPU to an older one on the USED market.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

It is for OEMs for $150, and at its price it is the best option if the benchmarks are correct: https://youtu.be/9jsZBpTfwfw

For the most part it outperforms a 1650 which can be found for $200. It is not fair to compare a modern released GPU to an older one on the USED market.
        That 1650 only had GDDR5 memory, not GDDR6.

It loses to the GDDR6 model, and a 6400 which was rightly derided pretty heavily in reviews. Cards which I can pick up locally (new) for $185 and $160, respectively. I suspect OEMs can get a better price than that. The only thing it really has going for it is the better encoders.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

It loses to the GDDR6 model, and a 6400 which was rightly derided pretty heavily in reviews. Cards which I can pick up locally (new) for $185 and $160, respectively. I suspect OEMs can get a better price than that. The only thing it really has going for it is the better encoders.
          Does not lose to a RX 6400 according to this: https://youtu.be/vLgYQA-MOMY

Beats a RX 6400 by about 10%, while being cheaper and also a first dGPU. It seems like an alright entry, especially considering that Intel has basically never made a dGPU for consumers.

Comment

Does not lose to a RX 6400 according to this: https://youtu.be/vLgYQA-MOMY

Beats a RX 6400 by about 10%, while being cheaper and also a first dGPU. It seems like an alright entry, especially considering that Intel has basically never made a dGPU for consumers.
            If you want to buy one, then go ahead, I won't stop you. But personally, i find the performance there very underwhelming. Competing with those cards isn't good enough, in my opinion. We'll see how their higher end cards perform.

Originally posted by that youtube channel
            they recently released new drivers, which has some bugs, like some games are crashing, & control panel stops working, but it seems new drivers are improving ARC A380 performance.
            That's promising, I guess, that new drivers are improving performance. But still sounds like they're in beta territory, at best, for now.

Comment

Perhaps I am too harsh, you're right.

What I am really harsh about however isn't the product, it's the delays. Arc should have been released over 6 months ago during the highest tide of GPU market drought in known history. Now it's going to come out just in time to be compared to Nvidia and AMD's next gen giants and will look like a pathetic, handicapped at birth product.

I really would like to know what is going on at Intel's. I know they're a big company and turning around is hard, but come on, how can every thing they plan come out 6-12 months late? This is some "unicorn startup, we'll be financially viable in 8 years" tier results.

Comment

Working...
              X