Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Media Driver Adding Vulkan Video Acceleration Support

Phoronix: Intel Media Driver Adding Vulkan Video Acceleration Support

While Intel has long supported GPU-based video decode acceleration on Linux using the Video Acceleration API (VA-API) and more recently via oneVPL under their oneAPI umbrella, with their Intel Media Driver stack they have begun offering support for video decoding using the cross-platform video acceleration extensions to the Vulkan API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Surprising HEVC was pushed into the spec before AV1 and VP9.

Comment

can't wait for it, vulkan video I can see becoming quite useful

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any code though. I'm guessing this is just some interface to hook into their Windows vulkan driver, and so far nothing for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Surprising HEVC was pushed into the spec before AV1 and VP9.
          Especially since I don't really know of any big mass of HEVC content out there. Where is HEVC stuff coming from other than phones?

Maybe it's the phones.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Especially since I don't really know of any big mass of HEVC content out there. Where is HEVC stuff coming from other than phones?

Maybe it's the phones.
            No idea. Supposedly everyone wanted to avoid it due to heavy patent taxing. But AV1 didn't catch up yet to hardware acceleration. It's barely available so far.

Comment

Maybe it's the phones.
              blurays, netflix, prime video etc. use HEVC. AV1 is still being rolled out in netflix so most content is still HEVC. HEVC is a majority of content consumption. outside of youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

No idea. Supposedly everyone wanted to avoid it due to heavy patent taxing. But AV1 didn't catch up yet to hardware acceleration. It's barely available so far.
                I would say it's just probably due to how HEVC is just still the most popular, though AV1 is coming to that very quickly. but there are a decent chunk of devices that have hw accel now, in fact I think most newly developed stuff aside from qualcomm has it? at least the more popular ones do

Comment

Maybe it's the phones.
                  There are lots of movies (in the hundreds or thousands) out there in HEVC format.
                  Some of them are even 10bit and some even HDR on top of HEVC.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    There are lots of movies (in the hundreds or thousands) out there in HEVC format.
                    Some of them are even 10bit and some even HDR on top of HEVC.
                    I mean content that you might actually play on a PC. VP9 is by far more common, even if you ignore YouTube (which is the majority of video streaming), and is equally efficient.

Comment

Working...
                    X