Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Has A Solution For Hot Linux Laptops Draining The Battery While Trying To Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe manufacturers will start adding at least some cooling to PCH chips? Just a metal plate will be much better than naked chip.

Comment

I think this may be the same issue that has been plaguing my ThinkPad T14s.

The current work-around I have is in the BIOS to set power saving mode from s2idle to "S3" (which confusingly are named respectively "Windows 10" and "Linux").

Comment

This is very obviously a political problem. Florida ? It's the proximity to Mar El Lago & DeSantis that is the problem. Intel's chips are not tested under such extreme political conditions.

Comment

Ugh, can you check your political noise at the door please? kthx.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
            What is the rationale behind preventing S0ix with an overheated PCH in the first place? I'd normally guess that letting the system reach a lower-power state would be the best thing to prevent or resolve overheating.
            Because the chip will get hotter once cooling is taken away (fans turned off)? Are you familiar with physics? If the chip is running at a critically high temperature when the fans are running at maximum speed, then turning off the fans will make the chip exceed that critical limit. Entering the low-power stages also means turning off fans.

Heat dissipation takes a long time and simply turning power off doesn't instantly get rid of the internal heat.
            Last edited by curfew; 06 May 2022, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              Because the chip will get hotter once cooling is taken away (fans turned off)? Are you familiar with physics? If the chip is running at a critically high temperature when the fans are running at maximum speed, then turning off the fans will make the chip exceed that critical limit. Entering the low-power stages also means turning off fans.

Heat dissipation takes a long time and simply turning power off doesn't instantly get rid of the internal heat.
              I am indeed familiar with physics. And physics also tells me that the chip will not get hotter when the heat source (i.e. power) is turned off. Also heat dissipation *does* occur surprisingly quickly, particularly on objects as small and thin as a PCH it shouldn't take more than a few seconds, and fans normally run for a few seconds after turning off power anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive McCarthy View Post
                This is very obviously a political problem. Florida ? It's the proximity to Mar El Lago & DeSantis that is the problem. Intel's chips are not tested under such extreme political conditions.
                “Phoronix is a technology website that offers insights regarding the development of the Linux kernel, product reviews, interviews, and news regarding free and open-source software by monitoring the Linux kernel mailing list or interviews.”

Does it mention the word “politics” anywhere? No. So please take your political crap elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
                  I think this may be the same issue that has been plaguing my ThinkPad T14s.

The current work-around I have is in the BIOS to set power saving mode from s2idle to "S3" (which confusingly are named respectively "Windows 10" and "Linux").
                  That's not so much a workaround as making the laptop work as it should have in the first place. There's nothing good about S0iX.

Comment

Working...
                  X