Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Has A Solution For Hot Linux Laptops Draining The Battery While Trying To Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Has A Solution For Hot Linux Laptops Draining The Battery While Trying To Sleep

Phoronix: Intel Has A Solution For Hot Linux Laptops Draining The Battery While Trying To Sleep

For those with Intel laptop models that are quick to run hot and happen to find your laptop battery quickly being drained even when it should be in a deep sleep state, a solution is in the works for the Linux kernel that ultimately stems from S0ix failing due to the PCH overheating...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the rationale behind preventing S0ix with an overheated PCH in the first place? I'd normally guess that letting the system reach a lower-power state would be the best thing to prevent or resolve overheating.

Comment

I appreciate Michaels solution to the problem: Cool that darn S0ix down with a Weissbier!

Comment

I guess it is not surprising that some Dell XPS 9360 laptop owners are snowbirds.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
          What is the rationale behind preventing S0ix with an overheated PCH in the first place? I'd normally guess that letting the system reach a lower-power state would be the best thing to prevent or resolve overheating.
          I'm guessing here: maybe they don't want the fans to stop if the chip is too hot. All laptops I used turn off the fans as soon as you suspend them. (But if the user is going to put the laptop in a bag or backpack the fans won't really help anyway... Maybe they assume the user won't stuff the laptop in a bag until the fan stops?)

(Semi-related: I seem to remember some (older?) cars run the fan for tens of seconds after turning off the engine when it is hot outside.)

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
            (Semi-related: I seem to remember some (older?) cars run the fan for tens of seconds after turning off the engine when it is hot outside.)
            Depending on the age of the vehicle, the fan is activated by a thermal sensor on the fan motor, so only was powered when needed (i.e. the heat from the radiator was high). Which was a power saving mode (rather than always being spun by the "fan belt" even if the vehicle was cold, or the air outside and the speed of the vehicle was sufficient to cool the radiator fluid and the engine). Such considerations can still apply to even EV vehicles (a Tesla battery fan can sometimes be heard spinning on really hot days even if the car is otherwise turned off in order to maintain a proper battery temp).

Comment

I wonder if this is what has plagued my Thinkpad X1 Extreme. When not plugged in and "sleeping" the batter drains in maybe two+ days which has been annoying

Comment

Florida approved.

Comment

I had the same overheating problem under Windows 10 with a Dell Precision 7740 running power off the dual Thunderbolt docking station. I would sleep it like I normally did, put in my backpack, and find an extremely hot machine when I pulled it out (failed to properly sleep).
                  This didn't happen using the normal power adapter and running the laptop on a laptop cooler stand.
                  The dual Thunderbolt docking station was dysfunctional in several ways (would only drive a single external monitor, etc.) so I quit using it. Instead I use a single external 34 inch wide curved screen on the built in display port.
                  System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
                  System Model Precision 7740
                  System Type x64-based PC
                  System SKU 0927
                  Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2276M CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
                  Name NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000
                  PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1F36&SUBSYS_19271028&REV_A1\4&F40 4CF9&0&0008
                  Adapter Type Quadro RTX 3000, NVIDIA compatible
                  Adapter Description NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000
                  Memory x2: M474A4G43MB1-CTD
                  Error correction code UDIMM / SODIMM
                  Single error correction and detection available
                  Supports x8 up to 2 ranks per DIMM

Comment

From today's patch series... Bring your laptop to Florida, trigger a bug.
                    Say no more:

t_OrY77.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X