Linux 5.19 Adding Ability To Initiate Firmware Updates Using Sysfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.19 Adding Ability To Initiate Firmware Updates Using Sysfs

Phoronix: Linux 5.19 Adding Ability To Initiate Firmware Updates Using Sysfs

In addition to driver-core-next having queued up the long-awaited Zstd compressed firmware support ahead of the Linux 5.19 kernel, another change readied is allowing support for initiating firmware updates for supported drivers via sysfs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't they create a sane API with error handling like microsoft did 30 years ago instead of echoing/cating values and crossing your fingers it works, I can already see userspace flashing utilities failing for random reasons resulting in undefined UX experience.

Comment

I'm on 5.17 arch, and I'm almost sure zfs is supported for firmware init.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        I'm on 5.17 arch, and I'm almost sure zfs is supported for firmware init.
        What do you mean? Isn't it just a filesystem? What does it has to do with firmware?

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        Can't they create a sane API with error handling like microsoft did 30 years ago instead of echoing/cating values and crossing your fingers it works, I can already see userspace flashing utilities failing for random reasons resulting in undefined UX experience.
        It looks dangerous indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          Upon your word, I tried to read the patch a little bit. There doesn't seem any talk of how to know if the firmware update succeed or fail. So... you are right that the API may be a little bit lacking. Or maybe there are some people who can clarify this a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

Upon your word, I tried to read the patch a little bit. There doesn't seem any talk of how to know if the firmware update succeed or fail. So... you are right that the API may be a little bit lacking. Or maybe there are some people who can clarify this a bit more.
            That's unfortunate. Using sysfs doesn't exclude good error handling. There could be another "error" file which could expose any error conditions.

Comment

Working...
            X