Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Publishes Open-Source PSE Firmware

Phoronix: Intel Publishes Open-Source PSE Firmware

Last year open-source developers called on Intel to open-source their "PSE" firmware. The Programmable Services Engine (PSE) introduced with Elkhart Lake is an Arm Cortex-M7 companion core responsible for various tasks and is programmed by a binary-only firmware module. While it started out as a proprietary, binary blob, the PSE firmware has now been open-sourced!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great! Now do the Management Engine, please...

Comment

Hopefully this will encourage AMD to follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Hopefully this will encourage AMD to follow suit.
        To do what, exactly? Far as I know there's no equivalent. AMD's ARM core is the PSP, the Intel IME equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

To do what, exactly? Far as I know there's no equivalent. AMD's ARM core is the PSP, the Intel IME equivalent.
          I don't really care; whatever parts of their BIOS, firmware, PSP, GPU, or CPU that they can. Something is better than nothing and hopefully Intel open sourcing something, somewhere will make AMD open source something, somewhere to one up Intel or simply to keep up with the Joneses.

It's just wishful thinking, dammit.

Comment

>Intel IME
            what about Intel IIIIIIIIIME?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't really care; whatever parts of their BIOS, firmware, PSP, GPU, or CPU that they can. Something is better than nothing and hopefully Intel open sourcing something, somewhere will make AMD open source something, somewhere to one up Intel or simply to keep up with the Joneses.

It's just wishful thinking, dammit.
              It took years for Microsoft to open up .Net - and in the end they ended up having to rewrite the whole damned thing in order to do so. That became .Net Core & later renamed .Net again. If it's a tit-for-tat game, don't expect anything from AMD they weren't already in the process of opening any time soon and nothing at all legally encumbered or questionable. Probably everything you're hoping for is going to be encumbered in some form or fashion. I bet even the CPU microcode, which many people might think is supposedly all AMD, is legally encumbered by cross licensed patents and copyrights: Intel/Via/ARM who knows?

If wishes were fishes, we'd feast.

Comment

It took years for Microsoft to open up .Net - and in the end they ended up having to rewrite the whole damned thing in order to do so. That became .Net Core & later renamed .Net again. If it's a tit-for-tat game, don't expect anything from AMD they weren't already in the process of opening any time soon and nothing at all legally encumbered or questionable. Probably everything you're hoping for is going to be encumbered in some form or fashion. I bet even the CPU microcode, which many people might think is supposedly all AMD, is legally encumbered by cross licensed patents and copyrights: Intel/Via/ARM who knows?

If wishes were fishes, we'd feast.
                If you wish in one hand and shit in the other you'll fill up the other hand with shit that will then feed the fish so you end up with more fish to feast on.

Especially if you're a hippopotamus in a river in Kenya.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Quidnam View Post
                    Great! Now do the Management Engine, please...
                    Just my thought. But I guess that would reduce trust from the fraction of users that actually see it as a feature. The blocking piece that is seen as anti-theft by those could seem easier to break (even if only in appearance) if open sourced.
                    Note I'm 100% pro removing that, there's a whole bunch of bricked laptops in my country because the State program that provided them was dismantled and the unblocking servers tore down. They were supposed to be definitely unlocked when kids finished school, but that didn't happen. But I can see how companies may want to block stolen laptops and they wouldn't want the IME open.

Comment

Working...
                    X