Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Alder Lake Users On Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Will Want To Switch To A Newer Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin2x
    replied
    Ubuntu maintains their kernel with backports and hardware enablement stack, so I believe this is non-news.

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    I suppose with "he" you mean Greg-KH, right?
    Yes.

Still, makes me wonder why you as a Canonical employee didn't make contact with him earlier about this incident; maybe he would have listened...
    I'm not a Canonical employee, even if people keep telling me I am.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're the first one ever who complains about openSUSE Tumbleweed. No one has ever complained before about it breaking.
    Fine I'll be the 2nd and complain that on a fresh openSUSE-Tumbleweed-gnome install chromium fails with "no driver" or "GL is eGL".

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    Nothing new. Ubuntu server spin powdered to look like a desktop distribution. And it's not only about the Kernel, but its config as well.
    While I agree that the "generic" kernel flavor isn't a very good fit for typical desktop PC usage, Canonical does at least provide the "lowlatency" option.

But since they have stopped doing so for the mainline kernel PPA builds, alternatively setting the "preempt=full" kernel parameter will transform the "generic" one into a soft real-time Linux kernel, which is what every desktop distro should strive to provide out-of-the-box, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
    I'm opposed to calling everything "Linux", because I see it as confusion with no benefits, but as long as most people do that and Ubuntu is the foremost representative of The Linux, I find it puzzling that Linux LTS isn't coordinated with Ubuntu LTS releases. But I don't know what criteria he uses. He probably has his reasons. But I do think that it would be better to synchronize LTSes.
    I suppose with "he" you mean Greg-KH, right?

It was a really unfortunate choice of his to make, when Linux 5.16 literally missed the end-of-year deadline by just a few days!

Still, makes me wonder why you as a Canonical employee didn't make contact with him earlier about this incident; maybe he would have listened...

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied
    I'm opposed to calling everything "Linux", because I see it as confusion with no benefits, but as long as most people do that and Ubuntu is the foremost representative of The Linux, I find it puzzling that Linux LTS isn't coordinated with Ubuntu LTS releases. But I don't know what criteria he uses. He probably has his reasons. But I do think that it would be better to synchronize LTSes.

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    so if stability means fewer bugs, this is false.
    No, when talking about distro stability, we're referring to lack of major changes, meaning a stable relationship between packages. Rolling distros can be very high quality, but if you have a lot of dependencies, like a website might have, for instance, then you don't necessarily want improvements to break your system because the improvements cause incompatibility between packages.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Maybe in this article's comments. There are definitely people that complain about Tumbleweed breakage otherwise. I've tried it myself and the Zen system I tried it on failed to even finish booting the kernel. No, it doesn't have Nvidia hardware. I've tried it on other systems as well, and while it does boot, it often has paper cut bugs that make it unusable to me.

Just because the limited audience here doesn't have an issue with a certain distro doesn't mean there's no one at all with issues with rolling distributions like Tumbleweed. Stop thinking "Works on my system" means it works everywhere for everyone.
    Apart from the fact that Tumbleweed was mentioned at the beginning just to say use a rolling distro instead of an Lts if you want to get the latest kernel ... the sense I guess that was it.
    Each hardware is different and the installs sometimes need additional parameters on certain hardware and this can vary from distribution to distribution depending on the hardware.
    Obviously if you have a recent pc and the drivers for that video card are present only on the latest kernel it is obvious that it will only work on the distribution that ships the latest kernel.
    Whether it's Tumbleweed, Leap, Arch or Ubuntu the kernel is always Linux and the support is the same for the same kernel version.

After that problems and breaks can happen on all distributions, but Tumbleweed has a rollback system that allows you to cancel an update and which I think all distributions should have, especially those defined as more user friendly.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're the first one ever who complains about openSUSE Tumbleweed. No one has ever complained before about it breaking.
    Maybe in this article's comments. There are definitely people that complain about Tumbleweed breakage otherwise. I've tried it myself and the Zen system I tried it on failed to even finish booting the kernel. No, it doesn't have Nvidia hardware. I've tried it on other systems as well, and while it does boot, it often has paper cut bugs that make it unusable to me.

Just because the limited audience here doesn't have an issue with a certain distro doesn't mean there's no one at all with issues with rolling distributions like Tumbleweed. Stop thinking "Works on my system" means it works everywhere for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

That's fair, but different people might have different experiences, depending on what packages they use, their hardware, etc. Also, I didn't mean breakage in a sense of distro not booting after an update, but also in a sense of a package/app starting to have issues/buggy behavior after an update.
    Obviously I pointed out my experience with my hardware, in many cases I am the first to recommend an LTS.
    This is to say that there is no best method for everyone, it depends on various factors.
    For applications, I tend to use flatpak, especially for complex applications with many dependencies, with flatpak you will never have interruptions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X