Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Alder Lake Users On Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Will Want To Switch To A Newer Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Alder Lake Users On Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Will Want To Switch To A Newer Kernel

Next week's Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" is using Linux 5.15 by default given that the kernel is also a "Long Term Support" release. While it makes sense in theory, in practice with Linux 5.16 having been out as stable since January and Linux 5.17 out for several weeks already there is a lot of hardware improvements past the v5.15 that haven't been back-ported or otherwise picked up by Ubuntu Jammy's kernel build. The main pain point this presents is for those using the latest-generation Intel "Alder Lake" processors with a mix of performance and power efficiency cores. My testing of Alder Lake this week on the latest Ubuntu 22.04 LTS build still shows that its 5.15-based experience being less than desirable with measurable -- often very significant -- improvements if using v5.16 or later.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=31046
    A newer kernel is not needed on the 12400 or lower.

Comment

Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
      apt install linux-oem-22.04

will give you a 5.17 based kernel
      For how long are those OEM kernels maintained by Canonical?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

So if that's what you want, you can't complain if you don't have the latest stable kernel on your Lts. From here the whole discussion started ...
        I agree with your sentiment, but I think the original point was that an Ubuntu LTS should have a newer kernel. I agree with that and I think the problem was that gkh chose a weird kernel to make upstream LTS from Ubuntu's point of view. But I don't know enough about it to really criticize it, so I only express my puzzlement and preference for a better coordination between Ubuntu LTS and upstream LTS. Ubuntu's release cycle is very well known, which for good and bad is the point; to allow for collaboration.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

For how long are those OEM kernels maintained by Canonical?
          Until there's a hwe kernel to upgrade to.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

I agree with your sentiment, but I think the original point was that an Ubuntu LTS should have a newer kernel. I agree with that and I think the problem was that gkh chose a weird kernel to make upstream LTS from Ubuntu's point of view. But I don't know enough about it to really criticize it, so I only express my puzzlement and preference for a better coordination between Ubuntu LTS and upstream LTS. Ubuntu's release cycle is very well known, which for good and bad is the point; to allow for collaboration.
            The coordination you aspire is impossible, because there is not only Ubuntu, this is also the reason why today many Lts distributions, block a kernel not necessarily Lts and then do backports from the latest kernels, this obviously increases the work of the distributions, but if done well it's a good choice.

Comment

If need be, I always happily use the Debian backports kernel and never had any issue with it.
              There are often options to get a never kernel for your hardware, no reason to switch the whole eco system every time.

Comment

Working...
              X