X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

"base", so greater than 150W.

Oh, Intel.
    They could at least get some Overclocker celeb contracted. "The 8auer" Edition - people would expect some power consuming CPU and therefore wouldn't mind because it has to be power hungery as an OC edition

Comment

World's fastest processor...

...with terrible power consumption.

Comment

Do they include the industrial chiller this time around?

Last edited by Aggedor; 28 March 2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Anyone else remember how we were promised 5 GHz+ processors back in the Pentium 4 days? There was a if I recall correctly a 4.8 GHz P4 and then GHz fell into the 2s and 3s for a long time and have only recently approached 5 GHz again. As a teen I thought we would have 7 GHz processors by 2022 but instead we went for more cores instead with 64 core systems available for servers in dual socket systems.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

12900KS

It's just a coincidence that the model number happens to be the operating temperature in Kelvins.

Comment

Oh no, it's totally the world's fastest processor... to thermal throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post

Oh no, it's totally the world's fastest processor... to thermal throttle.
                Truth is that Intel could just use their mobile designs which are only slightly slower than their desktop ones, yet draw way less power (unless I am missing something).

Comment

Truth is that Intel could just use their mobile designs which are only slightly slower than their desktop ones, yet draw way less power (unless I am missing something).
                  That's because there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to cranking the voltage and pumping more current through these chips. Intel makes plenty efficient chips, just not when they're trying to be "the fastest desktop processor." However, they're totally taking one from the mobile playbook and that's by optimizing the boost algorithm to bounce off of the thermal limit. My Macbook Pro knows 90-100°C oh so well.

Comment

Intel really started pushing clocks hard with the Skylake respins (7000 series+), and didn't drop the bad habit after that. At that part of the voltage-frequency curve, even on the desktop ADL processors, a tiny drop in frequency (5%?) would save a ton of power.
                    Last edited by brucethemoose; 28 March 2022, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I expect performance numbers to be similar with the 5800X3D, but total cost of system ownership is going to be a popcorn-fest.

12900K 5800X

244W 127W Full load power draw (according to Gamers Nexus)

DDR5 DDR4

Z690 X570

Even for the regular 12900K, every one of those metrics means the Intel system is more expensive. For performance similar to the 5800X3D, which is unlikely to draw more power than a regular 5800X, the 12900KS will draw... 300 Watts? So, more expensive cooling, more expensive RAM, more expensive motherboard, and a higher power bill, not to mention extra heat in your room.

The only thing I can think of favouring the 12900KS is maybe, partly availability, because every one of those produced will be sold to 'enthusiast PC builders', whereas AMD can sell Ryzen dies as anything from desktop to EPYC, and prefers to sell the Vcache stuff as Milan-X.

Comment

Working...
                      X