Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Launches The Core i9 12900KS At Up To 5.5GHz Alder Lake

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Launches The Core i9 12900KS At Up To 5.5GHz Alder Lake

    Phoronix: Intel Launches The Core i9 12900KS At Up To 5.5GHz Alder Lake

    Intel today announced the Core i9 12900KS as "the world's fastest desktop processor" with a 5.5GHz maximum turbo frequency...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ore-i9-12900KS

  • #2
    In a few weeks we will see who's the winner between the 12900KS (150W) $739 and 5800X3D (105W) $449.

    We will also see the the asking prices vs real prices.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
      In a few weeks we will see who's the winner between the 12900KS (150W) $739 and 5800X3D (105W) $449.

      We will also see the the asking prices vs real prices.
      That's not even a relevant comparison, the non-overclockable 5800X3D is competing against vastly less expensive ADL SKUs.
      That's like saying the 3090TI is meant to compete with the 6500XT....

      Comment


      • #4
        5.5Ghz may sound high but how much current has to been put through to make it stable ...that sounds like a power hog

        Comment


        • #5
          If I pair this with a RTX 4090 I can stop paying for the heating bill

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chuckula View Post

            That's not even a relevant comparison, the non-overclockable 5800X3D is competing against vastly less expensive ADL SKUs.
            That's like saying the 3090TI is meant to compete with the 6500XT....
            AMD says, the 5800X3D will be the fastest Gaming CPU. So, the comparision makes sense from this point of view.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              5.5Ghz may sound high but how much current has to been put through to make it stable ...that sounds like a power hog
              Originally posted by Intel
              What It Offers: Key features and capabilities of the i9-12900KS include:
              • Up to 5.5 GHz max turbo frequency with Intel Thermal Velocity Boost.
              • Intel Adaptive Boost Technology for improved gaming performance by opportunistically allowing higher multi-core turbo frequencies.
              • 16 cores (eight P-cores and eight E-cores), 24 threads, 150W processor base power, 30MB Intel Smart Cache, and PCIe Gen 5.0 and 4.0 support.
              • Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s and DDR4 3200 MT/s support.
              • Chipset compatible with existing Z690 motherboards with latest BIOS recommended for the best gaming experience.
              "base", so greater than 150W.

              Oh, Intel.

              Comment


              • #8
                What are people doing that needs that extra 4%(?) ST performance over far cheaper SKUs?

                I kinda understood the appeal in older generations, where the better binning/revisions got you much more headroom, but the pre and post OC gains are so tiny now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  "base", so greater than 150W.

                  Oh, Intel.
                  Not just greater than, but a multiple of. Peak turbo boost is likely 300+ watts. Grab a skillet, some butter, a few eggs...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
                    What are people doing that needs that extra 4%(?) ST performance over far cheaper SKUs?

                    I kinda understood the appeal in older generations, where the better binning/revisions got you much more headroom, but the pre and post OC gains are so tiny now.
                    Originally posted by Intel
                    The i9-12900KS processor allows gamers and overclocking enthusiasts to take performance to the next level.
                    Taking it to the next level.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X