Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Intel Systems To Reportedly Be Even Less Friendly For Open-Source Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Intel Systems To Reportedly Be Even Less Friendly For Open-Source Firmware

Phoronix: Future Intel Systems To Reportedly Be Even Less Friendly For Open-Source Firmware

According to the Coreboot camp, future Intel systems with FSP 3.0 and Universal Scalable Firmware (USF) will be even less friendly for open-source system firmware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I could be completely wrong as I have little knowledge on the subject, but I guess it kind of makes sense given the route they're taking SDSi. Could it be a sign that they plan to use it for consumer products as well?

Comment

Any news on the AMD front in this regard?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I think an interesting phoronix article could be:

Let's say intel goes evil-er , what if I wanted to use a steam deck in an old desktop case with attached usb-c hub with tv connected display, usb mouse/key, usb converted sata hdd, Say I leave it steam os and run developer mode and then i run distrobox and install ubuntu lts server with added xfce-desktop,

what is the desktop performance feel like and phoronix performance measurements/benchmark of the added ubuntu against a current intel desktop ?

steam deck converted home desktop vs intel tower desktop perf cmp ?

mostly install the ubuntu on the usb/sata/hdd if possible to specify with distrobox.
        Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 27 February 2022, 03:01 AM. Reason: i meant steam deck not the steam box

Comment

And Intel mentioning favoring open-source a month or two ago.... how ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Any news on the AMD front in this regard?
            Well AMD is using the Pluton security processor made by Microsoft on it's newer chips so both Intel and AMD are going in terrible directions in their own way. AMD also had no Coreboot support before and used PSP so it's not like they were saints before Pluton. If you care about FOSS and you haven't started your exodus plans from x86 then you really should.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post

Well AMD is using the Pluton security processor made by Microsoft on it's newer chips so both Intel and AMD are going in terrible directions in their own way. AMD also had no Coreboot support before and used PSP so it's not like they were saints before Pluton. If you care about FOSS and you haven't started your exodus plans from x86 then you really should.
              from what I've seen, Pluton is just the PSP hardware running Microsoft firmware instead of the current PSP firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post

Into what though? You have POWER9 for now, but IBM is clearly going in the same direction. ARM is no better from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post

Into what though? You have POWER9 for now, but IBM is clearly going in the same direction. ARM is no better from what I can see.
                  ARM is basically worse. POWER9 is really the only option at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

ARM is basically worse. POWER9 is really the only option at the moment.
                    RISC-V maybe. It'll be underpowered and costly.

Comment

Working...
                    X