No announcement yet.

Intel Software Defined Silicon Driver Queued Up Ahead Of Linux 5.18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this bad? Is it worse than the current practice of fusing off functionality permanently?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Volta you act like an asshole, I'll give you that, always the same.

I'm not looking for things to get mad about, I comment on things which are truly outrageously bad yet they are peddled in the open source community as a second coming of Christ, e.g. Wayland. You can avoid these Intel products, AMD has been a great option for the past three years however, however I cannot avoid Wayland because RedHat decided to destroy Xorg/X11 and sooner or later I'll have to deal with this wonderful feat of misengineering.
      taken from your link: "Not a single person however has provided a single proof of X.org's "insecurity"

what? X security is so embarrassingly bad that I wouldn't even know where to start from to describe it.

we can discuss about the Wayland approach and design, but please, don't say that an X alternative wasn't needed.
      Last edited by cynic; 20 February 2022, 03:40 PM. Reason: fix quoting tag

Comment

Volta you act like an asshole, I'll give you that, always the same.

I'm not looking for things to get mad about, I comment on things which are truly outrageously bad yet they are peddled in the open source community as a second coming of Christ, e.g. Wayland. You can avoid these Intel products, AMD has been a great option for the past three years however, however I cannot avoid Wayland because RedHat decided to destroy Xorg/X11 and sooner or later I'll have to deal with this wonderful feat of misengineering.
        Absolutely zero insults on Volta's reply, but then you resort to insults. This is why people hate you.

1. You claim you only speak facts.
        2. When you are actually wrong and somebody fights your claims, you resort to insults.
        3. Then you bring a bunch of other unrelated stuff in a poor attempt to start a flamewar. It's more than obvious.

Get out already...

Post scriptum: And how ironic, you use /Thread on others but some magic rule allows you to derail the thread as much as you want. Enough of this.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 20 February 2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Absolutely zero insults on that reply, but then you resort to insults. This is why people hate you.
          Actually, I don't feel offended in any way. Properly used 'insults' have their charm. While I don't agree with Birdie on many topics I like when he talks 'normally' like in the quoted reply.

Comment

I saw some thing yesterday where Intel intends to start offering m.2 AI acceleration in a future generation. I wonder if that is a feature that will be implemented as an optional feature like RAID support?

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
              Why is this bad? Is it worse than the current practice of fusing off functionality permanently?
              Using the fusing off POV: the current practice is "if it doesn't make par then make it a weaker product". As manufacturing gets better they have less failures to turn into weaker product lines. Potentially this will let them release an i3 that can be "upgraded" into an i9. AFAICT, we're basically being punished because manufacturing is better, they have less failures, and need a way to segment the market to boost their profits. Moore's Law met a Capitalist.

The tin foil hat POV is that they'll do the above with instruction sets and more. The extreme view of that is that we won't be able to do a one time buy and unlock it permanently; we'll have to keep paying Intel a monthly subscription to use our "upgraded i9". AMD Prime, Intel Plus, and Nvidia Max. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Outside of letting the user unlock cores that didn't pass muster or hiding unstable features from the user until they're ready, there really aren't that many ethical uses of this technology...and we really don't even need this technology for those since "Unlock unstable cores" or "Enable unstable feature X" could probably be a BIOS option now. I consider this technology unethical because all it seems to do is create artificial product limitations to compel us to spend money after the fact for features that came in the box.

This is the hardware equivalent to buying a game that comes with on-disk DLC. We know this came with the product you bought, but we want you to spend another $25.99 to download 15bits to enable it so you can use it.

Intel sees companies like Microsoft and EA and Tesla doing it, why not them?
              Last edited by skeevy420; 20 February 2022, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

taken from your link: "Not a single person however has provided a single proof of X.org's "insecurity"

what? X security is so embarrassingly bad that I wouldn't even know where to start from to describe it.

we can discuss about the Wayland approach and design, but please, don't say that an X alternative wasn't needed.
                How many people have been hacked due to X.org's insecurity?

How?

Can you show me case studies? Malware? Anything at all? Is this all you've got? Oh, god.

When making outrageous claims first think how you're going to defend your PoV.

This topic is not about me or Wayland. Let's stop it now. You'll have zero arguments and zero proofs anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Absolutely zero insults on that reply, but then you resort to insults. This is why people hate you.

1. You claim you only speak facts.
                  2. When you are actually wrong and somebody fights your claims, you resort to insults.
                  3. Then you bring a bunch of other unrelated stuff in a poor attempt to start a flamewar. It's more than obvious.

Get out already...

Post scriptum: And how ironic, you use /Thread on others but some magic rule allows you to derail the thread as much as you want. Enough of this.
                  1. So, Volta derailed the discussion, started insulting me and it's all fine I presume? Your double standards are always the same. Volta can crap on me in every topic and I have to rejoice, right? Oh ignore him, right? I struck back and described his behavior without talking about him specifically. You're right, my reply was polite.

2. Where was I wrong having said that people are free not to buy Intel CPUs? Are you OK, tilde??

3. Where did I bring anything at all having said that people are free not to buy Intel CPUs? Are you OK, tilde??

Anyways it's bloody weird now two people are discussing me instead of this very effing topic. And all I said that people are free not to buy Intel CPUs. What is wrong with you and Volta? Did I ask him or you to intervene and opine about me?

Maybe we could go back to crapping on Intel and their horrible product segmentation instead?

Open Source: we hate, hate, hate, hate.

NVIDIA and Intel suck!!
                  Microsoft and Oracle suck!
                  And we are open source knights on white horses!

We are so great! We can crap on successful companies in the comments section. It all looks atrocious and disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    The extreme view of that is that we won't be able to do a one time buy and unlock it permanently; we'll have to keep paying Intel a monthly subscription to use our "upgraded i9".
                    Where did you get this info? Do you really believe they would like that kind of PR? They've just saved their face by releasing ADL which still cannot beat 5950X in certain scenarios and and I cannot believe Intel will go this route.

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                    If it's a permanent activation via built-in ROM I see zero issues with that. Buy a license, get a full product until it dies.

Comment

So, Volta derailed the discussion, started insulting me and it's all fine I presume? Your double standards are always the same. Volta can crap on me in every topic and I have to rejoice, right? Oh ignore him, right? I struck back and described his behavior without talking about him specifically. You're right, my reply was polite.
                      Your reply wasn't polite. Volta's was.

You're just too sensitive. That's it.

It's weird now two people are discussing me instead of this very effing topic. And all I said that people are free not to buy Intel CPUs. WTF is wrong with you and Volta? Did I ask him or you to intervene and opine about me?
                      What about you? You also tried to derail the thread. After you insulted Volta, you somehow managed to bring up X, Wayland and Red Hat on a topic about Intel.

Maybe we could go back to crapping on Intel and their horrible product segmentation instead?
                      Oh, so getting salty and sarcastic now?

Open Source: we hate, hate, hate, hate.

NVIDIA and Intel suck!!
                      Microsoft and Oracle suck!
                      And we are open source knights on white horses!

We are so great! We can crap on successful companies in the comments section. It all looks atrocious and disgusting.
                      This flame war is getting silly at this point. Let's move on.

Comment

Working...
                      X