No announcement yet.

Intel "Crocus" Driver For Old iGPUs Bumps OpenGL Compatibility Profile Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel "Crocus" Driver For Old iGPUs Bumps OpenGL Compatibility Profile Support

Phoronix: Intel "Crocus" Driver For Old iGPUs Bumps OpenGL Compatibility Profile Support

The Intel Crocus Mesa driver providing open-source Gallium3D support for older i965 through Haswell era graphics hardware is now offers much better OpenGL compatibility profile support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My Dell D630 just keeps kickin’! Core 2 Extreme CPU upgrade, 8GB RAM, Blu-Ray Burner, 1TB SSD, and now: those 965/X3100/Crestline graphics just keep things working smoothly.

…. Now just need beignet to support OpenCL on elderly GPUs 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
      …. Now just need beignet to support OpenCL on elderly GPUs 😂
      Or for Mesa OpenCL to mature.

Comment

So does Crocus support Ivy? Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          is now offers much better OpenGL compatibility profile support...
          Typo: It should be "now offers" or "is now offering".

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Or for Mesa OpenCL to mature.
            Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I know there is no Intel implementation in Mesa OpenCL, also Mesa OpenCL is hardware-specific (like with OpenGL where there is iris, crocus, r600, radeonsi, nouveau…) so getting one platform working would not mean other platforms would be working.

Comment

It appears that restriction was a Crockus-shit.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
                Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I know there is no Intel implementation in Mesa OpenCL, also Mesa OpenCL is hardware-specific (like with OpenGL where there is iris, crocus, r600, radeonsi, nouveau…) so getting one platform working would not mean other platforms would be working.
                Well, I think it's a case of "both-and". Bth Mesa OpenCL needs to mature AND the Crocus driver needs to implement support for the particular features. Still, it should be a lot less work than implementing OpenCL for Crocus from scratch.

BTW, what's the story behind the name Crocus?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  BTW, what's the story behind the name Crocus?
                  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Mesa driver (or wherever it comes from) for the newer Intel graphics is called Iris, which is a flower. Crocus is also a flower! In fact, per below, it is part of the Iris family of flowers! There you have it

Sound bite of Paul Harvey's famous saying at the end of the show "The Rest of The Story".
                  Last edited by ehansin; 09 February 2022, 10:00 PM. Reason: Added a little Paul Harvey humor, for those that remember him from AM radio way back when...

Comment

To my understanding this change is important for wine to run. I suffer the issue below and it seems this change would fix the issue on Crocus :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X