Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Linux Graphics Driver Patched For New Security Issue But Can Impact Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if this also affects some of the GPU drivers for ARM devices.

It would seem that Panfrost at least is not affected, thought it does seem to have some other memory corruption bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Did integrators turn it off like RHEL customers turn off SELinux?
      I've always found this funny - choose an OS with an enhanced security function, find that it makes life a little more difficult... rather than find out what policies or contexts on files to change... just disable it. So many guides for things with RHEL start with "disable SELinux"... *sigh*.

Comment

I see no switch in this patch to turn the mitigation off. brace yourself for more powerdrain and worse performance!

Comment

Why are Intel GPUs the only ones affected by such vulnerabilities? It's not the first time this happens and I don't remember anything similar for AMD and Nvidia GPUs...
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Why are Intel GPUs the only ones affected by such vulnerabilities? It's not the first time this happens and I don't remember anything similar for AMD and Nvidia GPUs...
            it's because Intel has historically been more willing than others to cut corners to squeeze out a tiny performance improvement at the cost of security vulnerabilities that they thought no one would ever notice.
            Last edited by hotaru; 29 January 2022, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
              I've always found this funny - choose an OS with an enhanced security function, find that it makes life a little more difficult... rather than find out what policies or contexts on files to change... just disable it. So many guides for things with RHEL start with "disable SELinux"... *sigh*.
              Nevermind the guides, as it's everyone's responsibility to gauge the validity of the crap they read online; especially these days. The worst part of this behavior, for me, is when I see this as the default practice on so many Enterprise, corporate, or otherwise public-facing systems. Only if security is of utmost importance, then someone or some team is tasked with maintaining SELInux on the respective servers. Beyond ridiculous.

Comment

I hope this won't be a disaster like last time, where everyone had to suffer for at least half a year due to performance AN

Comment

Great motivation to buy Intel GPUs. Or CPUs, for that matter.

Comment

Another reason my recent move to AMD (T41 Gen2 AMD) was right.

Comment

What is performance impact?

Comment

Working...
                      X