Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Celeron G6900 Benchmarks - Performance Of Intel's $40~60 Alder Lake Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know whether Intel released something similar to the Pentium Gold processors from the previous generations?

I have a Pentium G5400 which has been powering my home NAS for the past three to four years and it performs fantastic for NAS duties like serving files, doing backups, running various daemons, etc.
    It saves me money which otherwise would be spent on VPS instances which are half as powerful as this box.

It cost about £50 when I bought it. But the best bit is the power consumption of the entire box which is something like 25W in idle to ~45W peak load. It has a bunch of HDDs in RAID1 and an SSD for the OS. Not much else besides that since the CPU has built-in graphics and the mobo provides the peripheric connectivity.

There definitely is a market for these chips. Low power computers which run in the background are great.

Comment

Sad little thing didn't get a big turbo boost so it would win some benchmarks.

Comment

Michael hi with ASRock B660M-HDV do you can confirm if enable this with celeron:

ASRock BFB (Base Frequency Boost) Technology allows user to install non K series CPUs on selected ASRock 300 & 400 series motherboards (even non Z models) an...

and this mainboard have bclk oc ?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, considering cheap low-end phones now have 8 cores, maybe it is time that even cheap low-end desktop CPUs have 8 cores as well.
          You can't compare low power cores on phones with those cores, they are night and day difference.

Comment

What’s the idle power draw at the wall (PSU) or PSU out?

Struggling to find a good reason this exists as a low spec retail CPU without ECC or any other redeeming features. 4 threads are a minimum requirement for anything you’d take time to piece together that isn’t a NAS or an atom type appliance. Without ECC you might as well go buy an entire bare bones 4 core atom package that includes the case and PSU and really sips power.

This now seems like single core scraps that usually were thrown in the scrap bin at Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              I've said it before I'll say it now, desktop 2-core (even with 4 threads, e.g. ADL Pentiums) CPUs must not exist, period. Such CPUs might be OK for NAS or something like that.

Modern web browsers plus background tasks can easily saturate all of the cores and user experience becomes horrible: everything starts lagging and behave erratically.
              You often say a lot of nonsense - it does not make them true.

I have an old Dell Latitude E5550 with a i5 5300U. It handles web browsing and other light tasks well. No big lag and no "erratic" behavior whatsoever. It's not as responsive as a modern 4C/8T CPU for sure, but it's not as bad as you describe either, and we are talking 7 years old CPU here. Modern, high IPC/high frequency 2C/4T for the browsing and light stuff would be just fine. And no, normally people do not have ton of tab's open, so you can skip this often used "argument".

However, I agree with one thing: in year 2022, even an entry level CPU should be at least 4C/8T indeed. It's about the time to progress this market.

Comment

Nice to have the CPUs back to Sandy Bridge tested. Thank you!

Also, CPUs like this have their place. They're completely adequate for a lot of office or retail situations.

Comment

This has been my experience on Linux, e.g. when I launch Firefox with 5 pinned websites (slack, telegram web, twitter, my company website and some others) the system starts lagging. I run Fedora 35 with an Intel iGPU which has 16GB of RAM of which at least 10GB are free at any point of time. And then there's an SSD disk. SWAP is completely disabled. I'm running XFCE without compositing. There are no background tasks to speak of. Under Windows 10 on the same laptop the system is a whole lot more reponsive. It's a dual core Intel Core i5 CPU, 6200U.
                  Nah, Artem, that's not a general Linux kernel problem per se, but rather a Linux configuration one.
                  Else literally millions (or even billions) of Android users would complain, yet even recent low-end smartphones are more than adequate for web-browsing, even though their ARM SoCs are an order of magnitude slower than modern low-end x86 chips, as shown by Guest above.

No, the real problem is that most distros are not enabling kernel-level preemption by default, whereas Google is enforcing a 1000 Hz + PREEMPT Linux kernel build, since they are actually competing with Apple's iPhones, whereas most distros are still focusing on server throughput, first & foremost.

But fear not, as Ubuntu (and thus all distros based on it, too) give one the option to install the "linux-lowlatency" package, which grants us fortunate users and our PCs the same awesomeness.

Incidentally enough, it was this very same "Firefox starts lagging when visiting certain websites that spawn ads left, right & center" problem that made me switch to the above setup on my Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 [Wolfdale] about a decade ago; never had the urge to look back ever since.

So, go ahead and give it a try, Artem - I promise You won't be disappointed!

Comment

This has been my experience on Linux, e.g. when I launch Firefox with 5 pinned websites (slack, telegram web, twitter, my company website and some others) the system starts lagging. I run Fedora 35 with an Intel iGPU which has 16GB of RAM of which at least 10GB are free at any point of time. And then there's an SSD disk. SWAP is completely disabled. I'm running XFCE without compositing. There are no background tasks to speak of. Under Windows 10 on the same laptop the system is a whole lot more reponsive. It's a dual core Intel Core i5 CPU, 6200U.
                    Im not so sure that this has anything to do with dual/quad core. Not too long ago i had an even older first gen mobile i5 (2c/4t) and never had the feeling it was unusable for web stuff. Shure not super fast and a second wait time here and there compared to higher end desktop. Also had a win 7 dual boot on it and windows always felt slower.

We discovered in another thread, that recent firefoxes are slower on linux than on windows so maybe try chromium to see if its better.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      Im not so sure that this has anything to do with dual/quad core. Not too long ago i had an even older first gen mobile i5 (2c/4t) and never had the feeling it was unusable for web stuff. Shure not super fast and a second wait time here and there compared to higher end desktop. Also had a win 7 dual boot on it and windows always felt slower.

We discovered in another thread, that recent firefoxes are slower on linux than on windows so maybe try chromium to see if its better.
                      Firefox on my laptop has become extremely laggy ever since they embraced WebRender. On my desktop Firefox flies, but it's Ryzen 7 5800X + GTX 1660 Ti, so it would be weird if it didn't work properly.

Chrome in comparison flies on all my devices but all my workload is on Firefox and I just like it more.

Comment

Working...
                      X