Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Celeron G6900 Benchmarks - Performance Of Intel's $40~60 Alder Lake Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Celeron G6900 Benchmarks - Performance Of Intel's $40~60 Alder Lake Processor

Phoronix: Intel Celeron G6900 Benchmarks - Performance Of Intel's $40~60 Alder Lake Processor

At the top-end of Intel's current Alder Lake line-up is the Core i9 12900K while at the opposite end is the Celeron G6900... The Celeron G6900 is a dual-core Alder Lake processor with a suggested customer price of $42~52 USD (though for the limited quantities available, I ended up paying $69). Curiosity got the best of me for seeing how well this lowest-end Alder Lake part performs under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've said it before I'll say it now, desktop 2-core (even with 4 threads, e.g. ADL Pentiums) CPUs must not exist, period. Such CPUs might be OK for NAS or something like that.

Modern web browsers plus background tasks can easily saturate all of the cores and user experience becomes horrible: everything starts lagging and behave erratically.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I've said it before I'll say it now, desktop 2-core (even with 4 threads, e.g. ADL Pentiums) CPUs must not exist, period. Such CPUs might be OK for NAS or something like that.

Modern web browsers plus background tasks can easily saturate all of the cores and user experience becomes horrible: everything starts lagging and behave erratically.
      Yeah, considering cheap low-end phones now have 8 cores, maybe it is time that even cheap low-end desktop CPUs have 8 cores as well.

Comment

I think I would have prefered two clusters of E cores instead of this. Or maybe a 1P+4E setup. But 2P is not well suited to modern workloads. To put this into a time perspective, a dual core setup was really nice for Windows NT 4.0. Two and a half decades ago.

Comment

Why Intel ?

2 cores is not enough these days, spend a bit more on an Alder Lake i3.

Comment

I think what would have made for a more interesting product is something with 4 E-cores and no P cores. It's a Celeron, so you're not expected to be doing anything fancy with it. The Pentium could then add 2 P-cores.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, considering cheap low-end phones now have 8 cores, maybe it is time that even cheap low-end desktop CPUs have 8 cores as well.
              8 cores sound like an overkill but 4 cores are a must nowadays IMO. Firefox here often has over 250% CPU usage (i.e. 2 cores fully saturated and a half of the third one) and it's not like I have too many tabs open. I use uBlock Origin + NoScript, so other people who don't use these add-ons must have a significantly higher CPU/RAM usage.

Comment

Celeron line fills the gap between whatever they call Atom and the i series line, so it's a good product for that purpose. It's not great, but it's not the bottom of the stack. All the criticisms against it are more or less fair but also ignore the purpose of the chip. When you can go to walmart and choose from a selection of atom powered laptops this thing suddenly doesn't look so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  Why Intel ?

2 cores is not enough these days, spend a bit more on an Alder Lake i3.
                  Or an AMD chip and get better graphics as well.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Or an AMD chip and get better graphics as well.
                    5600G retails for $330 and before you say it's available on Amazon for $250 there are many countries in the world where you cannot get it for this price.

Comment

Working...
                    X