Intel Lands 20~40% Performance Optimization For Arc Graphics In Mesa 22.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post

if anything, it shows that those drivers so far were terribly unoptimized.

only time will tell if there's some performance still left on the die.
    Kinda what one would expect from drivers if the hardware is not ready either

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Of course they were. The proper way to write software is "make it work" -> "make it good" -> "make it fast".
      Even so, this is good news for those considering an Intel GPU once they become available.
      as a programmer, i know.

all i'm saying is, those numbers mean exactly nothing. 100 to 140 fps looks different than 10 to 14 fps, and both are 40% improvements. one would expect someone dealing with benchmarks to recognize such BS.

Comment

The exact "amount" of improvements does not matter. But we can see that there is a set of games already running and they keep improving.

Comment

as a programmer, i know.

all i'm saying is, those numbers mean exactly nothing. 100 to 140 fps looks different than 10 to 14 fps, and both are 40% improvements. one would expect someone dealing with benchmarks to recognize such BS.
          They mean initial support will be at least acceptable. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            The exact "amount" of improvements does not matter. But we can see that there is a set of games already running and they keep improving.
            they're shipping the hardware already. like, literally, as we speak. one would expect the drivers to be able to run games at this stage, as far as 'day one support' is concerned.

so yeah, exact performance matters. obviously, since you can't buy that hardware yet, they won't provide it, especially since it's subject to change as their windows drivers are still being worked on as well. it's just that said '40% improvement' in best case scenario brings linux support on par with windows, and assuming that means it's well optimized, it's obviously a good thing. but that's a best case scenario.

i'm as interested in ARC as everyone else tired of current GPU market, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. also, past intel (integrated) GPUs had problems, but that's mostly due to power management. we'll see how ARC handles that.

Comment

They mean initial support will be at least acceptable. Nothing more, nothing less.
              and that's a news story how exactly? it's kinda what everyone expects, isn't it? to be able to run games on those?

the exact performance and the amount of rendering glitches and stability problems that'll come with it, that's what matters - and that's something only intel knows for now.

Comment

and that's a news story how exactly? it's kinda what everyone expects, isn't it? to be able to run games on those?

the exact performance and the amount of rendering glitches and stability problems that'll come with it, that's what matters - and that's something only intel knows for now.
                It is a news story because a lot of hardware doesn't have proper Linux support at launch. Some, like my poorly chosen printer, barely get any support over their entire lifetime.
                What everybody expects is not my business, I am not entitled enough to just presume Linux support.

Comment

Can't wait for the first laptop or prebuilt with a DG2 Alchemist Arc graphics card, like A380 or hopefully an A580. I still don't see why they announced exactly no specs at CES.

Anyone cares to guess if the drivers will have the same performance on Linux as on Windows ? And if there will be feature parity between them ?

Comment

It actually doesn't mean that at all, which is kind of the point.

This says nothing about whether the drivers will be bug free at launch, which is what really counts the most. But beyond that, a 40% gain could still be leaving the hardware in the so slow it's unusable range. 40% faster than a slideshow is still a slideshow.

I'm not saying that's actually what's going on here, just want to point out the meaninglessness of the announcement, other than to announce that yes Intel is still working on these drivers. Which we should have already been confident about anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      It actually doesn't mean that at all, which is kind of the point.

This says nothing about whether the drivers will be bug free at launch, which is what really counts the most.
                      I disagree. Knowing there's an open Mesa driver being worked on and it's already reached a level when at least the optimization low-hanging fruits are being picked.
                      Bug free at launch? What's next on the agenda, the Tooth Fairy?

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      But beyond that, a 40% gain could still be leaving the hardware in the so slow it's unusable range. 40% faster than a slideshow is still a slideshow.

I'm not saying that's actually what's going on here, just want to point out the meaninglessness of the announcement, other than to announce that yes Intel is still working on these drivers. Which we should have already been confident about anyway.
                      Agreed, I'd really surprised of there wasn't at least 20% more performance left on the table at launch.

Comment

Working...
                      X