Intel Linux Driver Kills The Netbook Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, WHAT?

Isn't Intel supposed to have the good graphics driver? Isn't NVIDIA and ATI supposed to be crappy?

I guess I'll be keeping Windows XP on my NC10 for the time being then..

Comment

Michael:
      That's bad, but write bug reports and try with git versions and help the devs fixing the bugs!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Unless you update your xorg-server or anything else in the Xorg stack

Also say good bye to KMS goodness

Really? Hmmm, guess I'll go yell at my comp for allowing the blobs to work with the latest official xorg-server.

KMS doesn't do a whole hell of a lot if your experiencing driver issues.

Comment

And they actually will release Ubuntu 9.04 with this major problem? Sounds like a bad joke..

Comment

Sorry to hear that Michael. If you happen to be anywhere near Milan, I can provide you with whatever linux distro you need. Let me know

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
              Wait, WHAT?

Isn't Intel supposed to have the good graphics driver? Isn't NVIDIA and ATI supposed to be crappy?

I guess I'll be keeping Windows XP on my NC10 for the time being then..
              As far as I know Intel has the best OS graphic drivers. Try another version if this one won't work as expected. Grab livecd and check it!

Comment

It is indeed bad. EXA is terribly slow, UXA is faster, but still slow, and unstable even with 2.7.0. OpenGL gets unacceptably slow with DRI2.

With minor changes, the old driver release 2.4.3 works. This release with XAA still provides the best 2D performance. I'll probably make a package for Ubuntu. However, 3D/OpenGL performance still is quite bad. Looks like Mesa is full of regressions as well.

Comment

This article seems a bit biased against Intel. Give it a few days, weeks, or use the older version if you want it to run stable. Jaunty is still fresh, and even when it's rolled out, I wouldn't expect it to run perfectly on each and every computer. Give it maybe even a month, I say.

(Well, I'm being a bit biased myself since I'm riding Jaunty since 3 days after Intrepid was released and I haven't experienced real issues.)

But yeah, all in all, in the Linux landscape, AMD and Intel are the good guys, and we all know who is evil. XD

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                    This article seems a bit biased against Intel. Give it a few days, weeks, or use the older version if you want it to run stable. Jaunty is still fresh, and even when it's rolled out, I wouldn't expect it to run perfectly on each and every computer. Give it maybe even a month, I say.
                    I don't see how it is biased; Intel's drivers clearly do have terrible performance regressions. These are very apparent on slower machines. Heck, even scrolling in a browser is very sluggish and slow with the default 2.6.3 w/ EXA combination (mind you, on a netbook of course. You won't notice it that much on a fast dual-core box.).

It's very unlikely that the Intel driver in Ubuntu Jaunty will be upgraded. This means you're stuck with terrible graphics performance for the next 6 months without some extra work.
                    Last edited by greg; 22 April 2009, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Running Gentoo Linux on my ThinkPad T400 and the Intel graphics are AWESOME.

Comment

Working...
                      X