Intel Linux Driver Kills The Netbook Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maccam94 View Post
    I haven't had crashes with UXA, but it doesn't seem to resolve the freezing issue either.
    Sorry, i meant freezing, not crashing, fixed my post

Comment

Originally posted by maccam94 View Post
      That sounds like a different issue then. The regression mentioned in the article is specific only to certain Intel gpus. The cause is likely the update from Mesa 7.3 to 7.4. The symptoms are different from what you describe. I will frequently hear audio files continue to play smoothly, and the computer seems to continue to operate, however the screen freezes (except for the mouse).
      Worth a try though. My EeePC has an Intel GPU. Also I had random screen freezes with 8.10, always associated with frantic disk activity. We are talking Netbooks here with solid state drives. A switch to ext2 seems to have fixed that. If using ext4 it is probably worth turning off journalising.

All I am suggesting is to not assume it is the Intel video driver, it may be, but other issues can be at fault.

cheers
      Last edited by grege; 22 April 2009, 04:52 AM.

Comment

This is not Intel specific. You are all experiencing this bug:
        Binary package hint: linux-source-2.6.22 When compared with 2.6.15 in feisty, heavy disk I/O causes increased iowait times and affects desktop responsiveness in 2.6.22 this appears to be a regression from 2.6.15 where iowait is much lower and desktop responsiveness is unaffected with the same I/O load Easy to reproduce with tracker - index the same set of files with 2.6.15 kernel and 2.6.22 kernel and the difference in desktop responsiveness is massive I have not confirmed if a non-tracke...

Comment

You're using an OCZ core V2. They're notorious for "locking" up when writing small amounts of data. Use btrfs as your filesystem(in ssd-mode). That'll fix things.

Comment

Have you submitted a bug report on either Launchpad or on freedesktop.org's bugzilla.

It seems a bit harsh using an article to effectively bash Intel. Especially considering it's Ubuntu's choice what driver version is shipped. It would be interesting to see if the same behaviour existed for their new 2.7 driver

Mike

Comment

Oh yes and as others have mentioned are you absolutely sure that it's an Intel driver issue? If so how did you pin point the problem?

Comment

Isn?t having a Free Software video card driver just great?

I am so happy Nvidia provides decent,if closed-source, drivers. They actually WORK. That?s most important, I?d figure

Comment

OT: Welcome to Italy

Plz take in account that Berlusconi is an idiot and some of us are NOT like him

Comment

To quote Doomworld about crappy DooM WAD files:

"They should not have released."

I think the same goes for the intel xf86-video-intel development. I doubt the developers hadn't seen the regression. So why release? Unless a drivers is at least halfway decent one should not make a public release. Imagine the pain and horror you bring over the world, esp. when unexperienced user get in contact with that. We have seen that on KDE <4.2.x - but which was definitely declared as a non-user release - and people went crazy over it when it didn't work like KDE 3.5.x. But these drivers don't seem to have a mark "staging, experimental or dontuse" so I wonder why that code is put in the public.
                    I really hope that distributors of precompiled distributions will see the signs and step back to older releases which just workend. Rather kick some new chips (and have VESA for them, even if it sucks, too) than putting a broken driver to all users.

I mean, I don't have a single intel video card (chipset) here but it sounds the same like the issue with some VIA stuff. Delay when typing, short timeframe of inaccessibility of system when something bigger is going on, freezes,... so I can feel the horror.
                    What makes me wonder why intel drivers are that bad since intel is a big big player on the market with their hands directly on the hardware and compare to the VIA side with the small openchrome team (which just received specs for the chips). From that p.o.v. intel should have done better.

PS, OT
                    Originally posted by elect View Post
                    Plz take in account that Berlusconi is an idiot and some of us are NOT like him
                    Ah, good to read! I still wonder how that strange guy manages to get in charge.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
                      Isn?t having a Free Software video card driver just great?

I am so happy Nvidia provides decent,if closed-source, drivers. They actually WORK. That?s most important, I?d figure
                      Unless you update your xorg-server or anything else in the Xorg stack

Also say good bye to KMS goodness

Comment

Working...
                      X