Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 22.0 Intel OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers Enable Adaptive-Sync/VRR

Phoronix: Mesa 22.0 Intel OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers Enable Adaptive-Sync/VRR

In the mainline Linux kernel for a year now has been the Intel variable rate refresh (VRR) support for Gen12 / Xe Graphics and then with the upcoming Linux 5.17 cycle that's being enabled for Gen11 Ice Lake graphics too. With the Intel i915 DRM kernel driver support for VRR/Adaptive-Sync being mature, the Intel Mesa OpenGL and Vulkan driver components are finally enabling the support by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice to have a fix on 11th gen Iris Xe under X11. It has horrible screen tearing with the modesetting driver and the Intel driver is obsolete and if used causes horrible lag. Tear Free and Triple Buffering on the 20intel.conf file doesn't seem to fix the issue. On Wayland it doesn't tear but my Intel devices use a touchscreen and there are numerous Wayland specific bugs with file management and basic navigation. Drag and Drop doesn't work on Nautilus using Wayland for example.

Comment

Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
      Tear Free and Triple Buffering on the 20intel.conf file doesn't seem to fix the issue.
      Actually this is the biggest problem for me too - why modesetting driver has no TearFree option? Because of this i am forced to use compositor on a weak tablet. And Wayland is not an option because of touch issues. Though I am able to use Intel driver I don't want to because of its unsupported state.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        Actually this is the biggest problem for me too - why modesetting driver has no TearFree option? Because of this i am forced to use compositor on a weak tablet. And Wayland is not an option because of touch issues. Though I am able to use Intel driver I don't want to because of its unsupported state.
        What is difference between using compositor on X server or Wayland compositor? Is it so big speed difference, that you don't want to use it on X?

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

What is difference between using compositor on X server or Wayland compositor? Is it so big speed difference, that you don't want to use it on X?
          I think the problem is that we don't want to use an accelerated compositor at all.
          for example if you use i3-wm, the window manager will compose the windows without 3d hardware acceleration.
          in my case if you play a youtube video on chromium using an intel graphics card you will end up with tearing.

Given said that... using kwin(plasma) or mutter(gnome) with opengl and vsync enabled fixes the issue (but we don't want that just because those Desktop environment are too heavy)

If people from Xorg are reading this post... please check this issue https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...r/-/issues/244 because there are testers here willing to test branches.

Comment

By the way ... do I need to run games in fullscreen for Adaptive-Sync/VRR to work or is "borderless window" supported as well?

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
              By the way ... do I need to run games in fullscreen for Adaptive-Sync/VRR to work or is "borderless window" supported as well?
              its been awhile since i used freesync on linux, since i moved over to gnome on wayland, no freesync for time being until gnome adds it. but when i had windows installed and when i was using xfce on xorg, freesync had support for borderless window mode. really wish gnome would add freesync support soon on wayland. really would like to enable it again with my monitor.
              Last edited by middy; 02 January 2022, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                Should be fine. The whole concept of "fullscreen" vs "borderless fullscreen" is pretty moot really especially on Wayland. Both should work.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                  its been awhile since i used freesync on linux, since i moved over to gnome on wayland, no freesync for time being until gnome adds it. but when i had windows installed and when i was using xfce on xorg, freesync had support for borderless window mode. really wish gnome would add freesync support soon on wayland. really would like to enable it again with my monitor.
                  KDE has it on Wayland.

Comment

I have one of those 144hz monitors that is actually a 120hz panel overclocked, when VRR is enabled there is a flicker that appears even on the desktop, oddly it is much worse on Linux compared to Windows.. Anyway I'll get a new monitor eventually

Comment

Working...
                    X