Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Lead Developer Of Their Linux Vulkan Driver Has Left The Company

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel's Lead Developer Of Their Linux Vulkan Driver Has Left The Company

    Phoronix: Intel's Lead Developer Of Their Linux Vulkan Driver Has Left The Company

    Coming as a surprise to end out the week is confirmation that the lead developer and architect for Intel's Linux Vulkan driver has left the company...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...d-Leaves-Intel

  • #2
    It's really cool that you put in value this very interesting people. Most likely he will need to rest for a while after such a high responsability job.

    Comment


    • #3
      "Linux graphics space."

      Hah!

      Ekstrand only said that it would still be related to Khronos.

      I'm hearing rumors that it's relating to Khronos' broadening of focus, and is about a Vulkan-style API for managing WiFi mesh networks, important for making sure that game streaming services get good latency, including for controller input.

      There also seems to be a company called B******m involved, so it's possible that all of this will be locked away in proprietary firmware, and maybe the features will only be supported on Windows too...

      So now he's going from a project where he was working alongside reverse-engineers to one where he has to try to protect the blobs from their tools?..

      Comment


      • #4
        @#3---

        "...So now he's going from a project where he was working alongside reverse-engineers to one where he has to try to protect the blobs from their tools?"

        ...similar to the way most of the world has always worked...

        Comment


        • #5
          Can't wait to see what he will be working on next, whatever it is, it's probably going to be pretty cool

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
            @#3---

            "...So now he's going from a project where he was working alongside reverse-engineers to one where he has to try to protect the blobs from their tools?"

            ...similar to the way most of the world has always worked...
            Maybe B******m has finally seen the advantages of open source and wants an experienced engineer to shepherd them through the transition?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by archsway View Post
              "Linux graphics space."

              Hah!

              Ekstrand only said that it would still be related to Khronos.

              I'm hearing rumors that it's relating to Khronos' broadening of focus, and is about a Vulkan-style API for managing WiFi mesh networks, important for making sure that game streaming services get good latency, including for controller input.

              There also seems to be a company called B******m involved, so it's possible that all of this will be locked away in proprietary firmware, and maybe the features will only be supported on Windows too...

              So now he's going from a project where he was working alongside reverse-engineers to one where he has to try to protect the blobs from their tools?..
              'irregardless' - he has put in the time and delivered some big wins for Linux graphics. If he chooses to work on proprietary firmware, he has earned the right to do so (at least in my book).

              Comment


              • #8
                Sounds like intel didn't pay him enough and someone poached him.


                Originally posted by xhustler View Post

                'irregardless' - he has put in the time and delivered some big wins for Linux graphics. If he chooses to work on proprietary firmware, he has earned the right to do so (at least in my book).

                That really isn't a right you have to earn. Anyone can do whatever they want, we should just focus on being grateful to them for their contributions rather than making a big deal out of what they decide to do afterwards, it's hardly any of our business, although in this case it sounds like he's not gonna stop making contributions just yet.
                rabcor
                Senior Member
                Last edited by rabcor; 20 December 2021, 03:46 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Didn't Amazon publish a graphics development job recently?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dmanlfc View Post
                    Didn't Amazon publish a graphics development job recently?
                    There are heaps of jobs in this space now. Amazon is looking to use what Valve has made for SteamPlay, and what Google abandoned with Stadia, plus their massive AWS infrastructure, to make game streaming actually happen this time maybe.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X