Intel Posts Updated Driver & Sample Code For "Software Defined Silicon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts Updated Driver & Sample Code For "Software Defined Silicon"

Phoronix: Intel Posts Updated Driver & Sample Code For "Software Defined Silicon"

Back in September Intel originally posted Linux patches for "Software Defined Silicon" for being able to activate extra CPU features present in the processor's silicon but not exposed by default unless the cryptographically secure process with this SDSi driver was performed. Intel appears to be moving toward allowing licensable processor features that can be activated after the fact and today a new version of that SDSi Linux driver appeared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish this didn't exist at all.
    If I buy a processor, I pay the full price for it, and nothing more. If I am required to pay extra to unlock all the features that is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I wish this didn't exist at all.
      If I buy a processor, I pay the full price for it, and nothing more. If I am required to pay extra to unlock all the features that is ridiculous.
      Plus that you have to be always connected to Internet and Intel's servers.

Comment

But isn't this just a different approach similar to what Nvidia already does with its signed firmware stuff?
        This is also some "software-defined silicon", isn't it?

Comment

This has to be one of the most blatant and devious cash-grabs I've seen in a long time. And you can bet that once people pay Intel cash to turn on various chip capabilities that soon thereafter, Intel will do the bait-and-switch by moving to a subscription based model.

Comment

Of course the ultimate goal of all this is so that eventually you will need to rent your system hardware under a subscription model for $100/mo or whatever. Or pay for the $100k/yr license if you want to run offline because only the government and other substantial organizations want or deserve to run offline. And I'm sure this won't cause any security issues at all, just look how well Intel ME works. :/

Comment

"Nah. CPU can only do additions if you have the plus package."

Garbage. Bean counter logic.
              Intel didn't listen one bit when advised to stop the bs with specialty instruction jungle hell and focus on raw core performance instead.

Comment

Hackers are going to have a field day turning these 'features' on (and off).

I have changed my position on the matter. Intel should definitely do this. Their market share is still too high for a competitive landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  "Nah. CPU can only do additions if you have the plus package."

Garbage. Bean counter logic.
                  Intel didn't listen one bit when advised to stop the bs with specialty instruction jungle hell and focus on raw core performance instead.
                  Why is my game suddenly playing so slow? Oh no, it's the 7th. Honey, did you renew Intel Plus this month?

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                    Hackers are going to have a field day turning these 'features' on (and off).

I have changed my position on the matter. Intel should definitely do this. Their market share is still too high for a competitive landscape.
                    Update to Linux 5.19 because it includes the SDS-Max mitigations that prevent the Hammer-Drill exploit to unlock unpaid-for CPU features.

Comment

Working...
                    X