Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Continues Making Preparations For Ray-Tracing With Their Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Isn't Intel's hardware too weak to run Ray-tracing and will be also for the next 5 years ?
    "weak" is not the comparison. This is about hardware ray queries, so it has little to do with the general purpose compute capabilities of the hardware. Also... I mean, Intel's top line performance has been increasing rapidly over the last few years, and their new desktop GPUs are possibly worth running some raytracing workload on. Even at laptop power budgets, if you're going to be doing raytracing, and you can handle the programming complexity of doing it on the GPU, then the GPU raytracing capability will almost always be more power efficient than doing it on the CPU, or doing it with general purpose GPU compute.
    Last edited by microcode; 05 December 2021, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• castlefox
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

He's right though. It's wishful thinking to believe that the dedicated GPUs that Intel is developing will handle ray tracing well when AMD and Nvidia still only poorly handle ray tracing, and there is also no reason to believe that as their first real push into dedicated graphics that they will be competing well against AMD and Nvidia on the high end.
    I dont expect Intel's high end card will be competitive with AMD/NVidia, but they are doing the right moves to get there one day.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by dragonn View Post

You should read some information of the new Intel dedicated GPU coming.
    He's right though. It's wishful thinking to believe that the dedicated GPUs that Intel is developing will handle ray tracing well when AMD and Nvidia still only poorly handle ray tracing, and there is also no reason to believe that as their first real push into dedicated graphics that they will be competing well against AMD and Nvidia on the high end.

Leave a comment:

• ruinairas
    replied
    I'm hoping the current Intel Iris Xe gets some attention to fix the overwhelming issue listed here https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/5662#

I'm pretty hyped for the gaming cards that are coming having experienced what the 1195g7 with Iris Xe graphics has to offer.

Leave a comment:

• dragonn
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Isn't Intel's hardware too weak to run Ray-tracing and will be also for the next 5 years ?
    In my opinion, if they want to bring something new, they should join Red Hat and help bring HDR support.
    You should read some information of the new Intel dedicated GPU coming.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    In my opinion, if they want to bring something new, they should join Red Hat and help bring HDR support.

Leave a comment:

• Intel Continues Making Preparations For Ray-Tracing With Their Linux Graphics Driver

Phoronix: Intel Continues Making Preparations For Ray-Tracing With Their Linux Graphics Driver

Intel's open-source Linux graphics driver developers continue making their driver preparations for being able to accommodate Vulkan ray-tracing with upcoming Xe HPG graphics having ray-tracing hardware capabilities...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...IR-SPIR-V-Rays
Working...
X