Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Graphics Driver Prepares Task & Mesh Shaders, Vulkan Dynamic Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Graphics Driver Prepares Task & Mesh Shaders, Vulkan Dynamic Rendering

Phoronix: Intel Linux Graphics Driver Prepares Task & Mesh Shaders, Vulkan Dynamic Rendering

Ahead of Intel ARC graphics cards premiering next year, Intel's open-source Linux graphics driver developers remain very busy preparing for the next-generation graphics capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't wait for Intel GPUs.... The greedy duopoly price fixing of Nvidia and AMD has existed for far too long. Just a few days ago i read news that Nvidia is preparing entry level and budget level gpus and also the same does AMD with 6500 and 6400 cards... Why they didn't release such cards a year ago? Silicon capacity didn't automagically improved during the pandemic... It is just that they preferred starving the market for more affordable entry and mainstream gpus so everyone was forced to buy expensive parts or simply forget newer games.... As soon as Intel announced they were releasing entry level gpus early next year, lo and behold, both Nvidia and amd are about to release alternatives as well... Suddenly all those excuses of "why you didn't do it earlier?" just disappeared overnight....

I am still buying Intel for that reason. Intel deserves to dominate the dGPU market like they do the CPU market. I am done being treated like an idiot by greedy corporations. It took almost 6 years for AMD to release an entry and a budget level gpu based on their current architecture. Last ones were the 4xx/5xx cards in 2016....

Comment

Don't get your hopes up in current market, Intel dGPUs are said to not have throttled mining performance; just like AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Don't get your hopes up in current market, Intel dGPUs are said to not have throttled mining performance; just like AMD.
        It doesn't matter. The current market is destroyed because there is no volume for more affordable gpus, so everyone is forced to buy more expensive SKUs. Every huge die is taking the place of plenty of smaller dies. As soon as Intel floods the market with entry level gpus (and Nvidia and AMD are soon going to do the same), the whole gpu pricing structure will collapse, because many people will go for more affordable cards. Not everyone cares for playing at 4K, and even an AMD 6600 is overkill for 1080p.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Can't wait for Intel GPUs.... The greedy duopoly price fixing of Nvidia and AMD has existed for far too long. Just a few days ago i read news that Nvidia is preparing entry level and budget level gpus and also the same does AMD with 6500 and 6400 cards... Why they didn't release such cards a year ago? Silicon capacity didn't automagically improved during the pandemic... It is just that they preferred starving the market for more affordable entry and mainstream gpus so everyone was forced to buy expensive parts or simply forget newer games.... As soon as Intel announced they were releasing entry level gpus early next year, lo and behold, both Nvidia and amd are about to release alternatives as well... Suddenly all those excuses of "why you didn't do it earlier?" just disappeared overnight....
          I am still buying Intel for that reason. Intel deserves to dominate the dGPU market like they do the CPU market. I am done being treated like an idiot by greedy corporations. It took almost 6 years for AMD to release an entry and a budget level gpu based on their current architecture. Last ones were the 4xx/5xx cards in 2016....
          maybe but maybe not... i think not... it is true that Nvidia has no "entry level and budget level gpus" but AMD has it,,,

the official AMD entry level gpu is: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
          yes right its APUs...
          real GPUs:
          3 generations ago it was the vega56/RX 550
          2 generation ago it was the radeon rx 5500XT
          the newest generation ion RX 6600

now you say 579,00 for the 6600 is to high AMD need to produce lower entry gpus well AMD claims that people who want lower entry gpus buy 2. or 3. generations back.
          means they dont go and buy a 6600 they buy a 5500 or rx550 or vega56 or a vega64 yes they also buy used on ebay to save money.
          and people who want to save even more money buy a 5700G APU....

now you say intel is the competition we want and we need for the "entry level and budget level gpus"s... well i think you do not follow the news as close as i do...

because there is another new competitor in the market Innosilicon Fantasy One(Fenghua No. 1) ,,, and i think they will be cheaper than intel...

so your theory AMD/Nvidia is doing anything only because of intel... maybe they do it because there comes even more competition than just intel ?

people claim GPUs become more expensive over the years because of the chip crisis but i think this is not true in 2017 i bought a vega64 for 666€

now a AMD6600XT costs 629€ and is ~8% faster than a Vega64 has also traytracing support and AV1 video decode and lower power consumsion means you get a better product for a lower price.

this means the claim that GPUs did become more expensive is plain and simple not true Today you get a better product for a lower price.

but the problem is the people did become so "used to" that every generation is much faster and much cheaper because in the past the production nodes did shink the transotors to much that you could produce it much easily and much cheaper... this free lunch in production node technology is over...

the free lunch is over but still you get a better product at a lower price...
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

The current market is destroyed because there is no volume for more affordable gpus, so everyone is forced to buy more expensive SKUs.
            Nope, Ethereum network hash rate reaches ever new heights. That's where very most GPUs go to.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

maybe but maybe not... i think not... it is true that Nvidia has no "entry level and budget level gpus" but AMD has it,,,

the official AMD entry level gpu is: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
              yes right its APUs...
              real GPUs:
              3 generations ago it was the vega56/RX 550
              2 generation ago it was the radeon rx 5500XT
              the newest generation ion RX 6600

now you say 579,00 for the 6600 is to high AMD need to produce lower entry gpus well AMD claims that people who want lower entry gpus buy 2. or 3. generations back.
              means they dont go and buy a 6600 they buy a 5500 or rx550 or vega56 or a vega64 yes they also buy used on ebay to save money.
              and people who want to save even more money buy a 5700G APU....

now you say intel is the competition we want and we need for the "entry level and budget level gpus"s... well i think you do not follow the news as close as i do...

because there is another new competitor in the market Innosilicon Fantasy One(Fenghua No. 1) ,,, and i think they will be cheaper than intel...

so your theory AMD/Nvidia is doing anything only because of intel... maybe they do it because there comes even more competition than just intel ?

people claim GPUs become more expensive over the years because of the chip crisis but i think this is not true in 2017 i bought a vega64 for 666€

now a AMD6600XT costs 629€ and is ~8% faster than a Vega64 has also traytracing support and AV1 video decode and lower power consumsion means you get a better product for a lower price.

this means the claim that GPUs did become more expensive is plain and simple not true Today you get a better product for a lower price.

but the problem is the people did become so "used to" that every generation is much faster and much cheaper because in the past the production nodes did shink the transotors to much that you could produce it much easily and much cheaper... this free lunch in production node technology is over...

the free lunch is over but still you get a better product at a lower price...
              Tell me about these Chinese GPUs, please...

Open Source drivers? It has Imagination Technologies IP, that makes me worrier about this.

Cost?

Distribution?

Availability?

Benchmarks?

Michael Get one and review it, please.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

So let me get this straight: You compare a huge die and huge sku from 4 and a half years ago which had super expensive HBM memory, on an older process node, to a current mid-tier die and sku with 128bit ram bus, and think just because you got 8% more performance for like 6-7% less price and somewhat less power consumption, that is progress?

Not even AMD shills would say that....

Comment

Can't wait for Intel GPUs.... The greedy duopoly price fixing of Nvidia and AMD has existed for far too long. Just a few days ago i read news that Nvidia is preparing entry level and budget level gpus and also the same does AMD with 6500 and 6400 cards... Why they didn't release such cards a year ago?
                  They did. They've released radeon 5500 and even 5300. Yes, there were no 6400 for some time, but this was because they couldn't saturate performance segment.
                  By the way, I'm afraid you've fallen to greedy duopoly propaganda. Some time ago 8 as a second digit meant high end, 6 - performance, 4 or 3 low and 2 or 1 - some kind of placeholder. Then they've performed naming inflation, high end now has 9 or even has some different name, 8 means performance, 6 or 5 - low and 4 or 3 - placeholder. So you've already can buy "affordable" almost entry-level GPU - RX 6600 or rtx 3060. I bet they will use current situation as an excuse to make different round of naming inflation, so 6500 will be a placeholder GPU, for someone who bought CPU without embedded GPU by mistake

Comment

My dream is a ThinkPad with an 8 core processor, Intel ARC Xe graphics card, running OpenBSD. While I'm dreaming lets just pretend that the processor has open source firmware as well and no management engine or PSP.

Comment

Working...
                    X