Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Worthwhile Running Intel Alder Lake With mitigations=off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    December 2020 is far from recent. That’s exactly one year ago. Lots has changed. We’ll have to get a refresh of these benchmarks. Regardless, thanks for following up avem
    Have Zen 3 CPUs magically become faster in the meanwhile? WTF are you talking about? Yeah, there've been some odd improvements in the kernel but nothing too serious.
    Last edited by avem; 03 December 2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

Have Zen 3 CPUs magically become faster in the meanwhile? WTF are you talking about? Yeah, there've been some odd improvements in the kernel but nothing too serious.
      Since you wanna be disrespectful, let's go. I'm talking about microcode updates, AGESA changes, kernel changes, scheduler changes, literally everything that contributes to mitigating the performance impact of all the security mitigations in the kernel.

I highly, highly doubt you're even a developer or someone that tracks the changes to know what I'm even talking about, let alone worth a further discussion. Take the best of care.

Comment

Since you wanna be disrespectful, let's go. I'm talking about microcode updates, AGESA changes, kernel changes, scheduler changes, literally everything that contributes to mitigating the performance impact of all the security mitigations in the kernel.

I highly, highly doubt you're even a developer or someone that tracks the changes to know what I'm even talking about, let alone worth a further discussion. Take the best of care.
        Now on to your BS: we are talking about transient execution attacks and the associated performance loss. Have you actually ever tested the performance impact of AMD microcode updates? Zen 3 CPUs have seen just two (!) updates for their entire lifetime. It's not like Intel which releases them almost quarterly.

Kernel changes and scheduler changes? I presume you can provide lots of citations (patches/changes/etc) for the past 12 months, cause it must be trivial, right? Nothing? Just a verbal assault?

Literally everything fixes a 7% performance loss?

If you want to be a level above me, smart, unbiased, patient and cool, start providing fucking solid facts and raw benchmarks (not just four but a couple of dozens), 'cause otherwise you're no better than a buffoon. I've given you a test by Michael, publicly available and verifiable.

Speaking of your own test results.

OSBench
        Test: create files

on 10.8
        off 10.22

That's 5.6% performance loss. Right there. Not 0.5%.

To quote you:

"I highly, highly doubt you're even a developer or someone that tracks the changes to know what I'm even talking about, let alone worth a further discussion. Take the best of care."

Comment

You obviously have some hidden agenda being so aggressive when all I asked you was for sources. Take the best of care, avem. Mr. June 2021 join date.

Comment

You obviously have some hidden agenda being so aggressive when all I asked you was for sources. Take the best of care, avem. Mr. June 2021 join date.
            Hey there.

To tell you, he's actually birdie. Mr. July 2008 join date.
            He just thinks that hiding under another account will allow him to insult and troll better, but we all know avem is birdie.
            It's best you seriously stop discussing with him, as he only wants conflict all the time.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, tildearrow.

Comment

Working...
              X