Linux 5.17 To Finally Enable Variable Rate Refresh For Intel Ice Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17 To Finally Enable Variable Rate Refresh For Intel Ice Lake

Phoronix: Linux 5.17 To Finally Enable Variable Rate Refresh For Intel Ice Lake

An early batch of Intel kernel graphics driver feature updates intended for Linux 5.17 was sent out yesterday to DRM-Next for queuing until that next merge window opens around the start of the new year. Notable with this pull is Icelake "Gen11" graphics finally seeing variable rate refresh enabled!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Because of the piece of shit HDMI group, I assume this is for DisplayPort only or can it work with HDMI 2.0 too ?

Comment

It's a real shame that GNOME (and mutter) still do not support VRR, together with a lack of proper HDR support it's really falling behind.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
        It's a real shame that GNOME (and mutter) still do not support VRR, together with a lack of proper HDR support it's really falling behind.
        For real? Does it not even support full-screen unredirection/direct scanout needed for VRR?
        (or do you mean VRR for the compositor?)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

For real? Does it not even support full-screen unredirection/direct scanout needed for VRR?
          (or do you mean VRR for the compositor?)
          You can find all the info in this PR https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1154

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Because of the piece of shit HDMI group, I assume this is for DisplayPort only or can it work with HDMI 2.0 too ?
            for what I see VRR is part of the standard HDMI 2.1..

Comment

While this is only tangentially related, I'd like to see the i915 driver cleaned up so higher refresh rates are supported on more panels. Hopefully we'll see it happen now that VRR is becoming common (and therefore proper higher refresh rate panel support will likely become relevant)

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                While this is only tangentially related, I'd like to see the i915 driver cleaned up so higher refresh rates are supported on more panels. Hopefully we'll see it happen now that VRR is becoming common (and therefore proper higher refresh rate panel support will likely become relevant)

I believe i915 driver for intel hardware, was just deleted from the main branch of development of mesa, the same for the classic drivers from the past too..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  I believe i915 driver for intel hardware, was just deleted from the main branch of development of mesa, the same for the classic drivers from the past too..
                  This is an issue with the i915 kernel driver.

Comment

Working...
                  X