Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's IWD 1.20 Released

Phoronix: Intel's IWD 1.20 Released

IWD as the Intel-developed iNet Wireless Daemon that can serve as a replacement to the likes of WPA_Supplicant while integrating nicely with NetworkManager / systemd-networkd / ConnMan is out with a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great if Canonical would use this for the next Ubuntu release!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It would not. For a normal user iwd via NetworkManager is not usable. It doesn't automatically connect to a network, If connection was lost, it also doesn't auto-reconnect. This alone is a No-Go and there is moreā€¦
      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/issues

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

It would not. For a normal user iwd via NetworkManager is not usable. It doesn't automatically connect to a network, If connection was lost, it also doesn't auto-reconnect. This alone is a No-Go and there is moreā€¦
        Since this is a major bug, I'm thinking they could fix networkManager until the release, if they want to.
        Or Ubuntu developers is letting again others to do all the hard work before they switch as the do with PipeWire...

Comment

Running iwd icm with NetworkManager on Fedora for quite a while without any issues (and better roaming behaviour than with wpa_supplicant).

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

I'm using NetworkManager with the default setup (so no IWD) and more often then not it doesn't automatically reconnect to a network either. So I'm not convinced IWD is involved in that bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm using NetworkManager with the default setup (so no IWD) and more often then not it doesn't automatically reconnect to a network either. So I'm not convinced IWD is involved in that bug.
              Looking at the bug report, it looks like this also includes reconnecting to a network after booting. At least with WPA_Supplicant, when I boot my laptop it automatically connects to the network.

Edit: Also, if my laptop looses connection to one network, say a 5GHz network, then it will automatically try to reconnect to the 2.4GHz variant (assuming I had connected to it before so it has the credentials saved).
              Last edited by Vlad42; 22 November 2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Unless this has been changed fairly recently, then connecting to networks using WPA Enterprise, 802.1X, requires the user to manually create the network configuration file. With WPA_Supplicant & NetworkManager, this is handled automatically. No major distribution is going to ship with a default network daemon that requires the end user to manually create the network configuration files.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

The (original) bug reporter, at least at one time, indicated that NM & IWD worked for them (after various updates to NM and IWD), but someone else chimed in with a random "me too" but had not (at least at that time) done the harder work to fully log and document if the details were the same (or just some similar results).

I have no doubt there are more than enough bugs (in NM, IWD, WPA_Supplement, etc.) to go around, but reports without detailed reproducers do not help drive fixes.

Comment

I use IWD on Arch with NetworkManager. This is in /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/wifi_backend.conf
                    Code:
                    [device]
                    wifi.backend=iwd
                    wifi.iwd.autoconnect=yes
                    I have no issues with reconnecting and auto-switching from 5GHz to 2.5GHz and visa versa.

Comment

Working...
                    X