Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Posts Updated "Software Defined Silicon" Driver To Activate Licensed Hardware Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I agree with those who say this should NOT be allowed in upstream Linux. Linux is so important in the server space we can kill this outright, as Intel won't be able to target Xeons only to Windows Server and BSD users. To make this work if we ban it from Linux, Intel would have to convince huge corporations and cloud providers to change their choice of OS and that would not be easy. Block this from Linux and Intel will probably scrap it for another ten years
    Intel would just make it a downloadable module. Unlike a gpu driver, this wouldn't be hard to maintain out of the main tree.

Comment

Oh, no,please don't let this shit happen, there is a start there is a follower and there is no end. "始作俑者岂无后矣!"

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        so next will see hacking the intel cpu license?
        I wouldnt bet on it. Samsung does stuff in this category in their android phones, and the config data is all cryptographically signed. I envison the same idea could be used in this case

Comment

Cisco has been doing this shit for a long time. You want more throughput, pay for a router licence upgrade.

Comment

I wonder if this is really a clever way to move feature-enablement away from a proprietary OS model (Windows) to an open source OS model (Linux, BSD) while still being able to monetise more niche features that only certain customers need (large coorporations or nation states)?

Only here, the sellers of the hardware (and not the sellers of the OS) are in control? Imagine if Intel could build the exact same CPU silicon for uniprocessor sockets, dual-processor sockets and quad-processor sockets, yet only enable the uniprocessor functionality by default and thus save manufacturing and testing dollars by only having to qualify one piece of silicon instead of 3-4 different pieces of silicon per amount of CPU cores configuration?

They'd obviously need to qualify the firmware, but surely that's relatively cheaper since firmware can more easily be updated/fixed?

Personally, I'm not a fan. But I am also not really in the target audience for this -- partly because I don't buy intel on principle (due to its incredibly annoying segmentation strategies) and partly because I'm neither a nation state nor a large corporation.
            Last edited by ermo; 22 November 2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X