Intel Graphics Driver's New Parallel Submission uAPI Landing For Linux 5.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics Driver's New Parallel Submission uAPI Landing For Linux 5.16

Phoronix: Intel Graphics Driver's New Parallel Submission uAPI Landing For Linux 5.16

Intel's "parallel submission" user-space API for their i915 kernel graphics driver has been queued into DRM-Next today ahead of the Linux 5.16 kernel cycle...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Multi-LRC-Exec

Since it seems about kernel-user interaction, should it be based on io_uring?

Comment

The existing bonding uAPI is completely broken with GuC submission --
      So here the U in uApi stands for "user space" but the U in GuC (graphics microcontroller) is actually the Greek alphabet µ and means "micro"...

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

So here the U in uApi stands for "user space" but the U in GuC (graphics microcontroller) is actually the Greek alphabet µ and means "micro"...
        Yeah, a lot of people don't know the difference. µTorrent was the first popular app where people wrote ‘uTorrent’ all the time, followed by µBlock.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Since it seems about kernel-user interaction, should it be based on io_uring?
          No, that's not what io_uring does. It's a way for the userspace code to queue up normal I/O operations (i.e. disk & network I/O) for the kernel to perform.

When using a GPU driver, you make ioctl calls specific to the driver or subsystem. I think GPU driver already have their own queuing mechanism. If you're interested in the details, the article has a link to the patch, which includes a lot of documentation.

If the whole kernel interface were being redesigned, perhaps some of the experience, conventions, code, and datastructures from io_uring could contribute to the effort. I don't foresee that happening, although it'd be interesting if new drivers and subsystems did start to borrow things from it.

Comment

Working...
          X