Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Current State Of Intel Discrete Graphics On Linux: Almost "Fully Functional"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current State Of Intel Discrete Graphics On Linux: Almost "Fully Functional"

Phoronix: The Current State Of Intel Discrete Graphics On Linux: Almost "Fully Functional"

Along with bringing up DG2/Alchemist graphics card support on Linux, Intel engineers have been working to square away their support for the DG1 developer graphics card. This week thanks to XDC2021 is a fresh status update about what is working with this initial Intel graphics card on their open-source driver and what remains in the works...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, it appears that "code drop from a big vendor" isn't Intel.

Amazing though. I wish I could buy one of these Intel cards since NVIDIA is closed-source and AMD is rather unstable sometimes.

Comment

And with today's news of Rust code in Mesa, "programmed in multiple techniques."

Comment

Any words on DG2 support in laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          So, it appears that "code drop from a big vendor" isn't Intel.

Amazing though. I wish I could buy one of these Intel cards since NVIDIA is closed-source and AMD is rather unstable sometimes.
          The newer ones aren't. AMD's 6800 series is superb.

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post

The newer ones aren't. AMD's 6800 series is superb.
            It's variable. For some it's rock solid (like me using Vega FE and Mesa 19.0), and for some it is super unstable (like several Navi owners).

Comment

It's variable. For some it's rock solid (like me using Vega FE and Mesa 19.0), and for some it is super unstable (like several Navi owners).
              This may be very unpopular, but weird crashes occurring all of a sudden without identifiable event during regular desktop usage or gaming, while other users with similar desktop PC setups (not mobile ACPI bug nightmares) experiencing zero issues, is very likely hardware or user config issue (broken hardware, unstable default clocks, hardware bugs, amdvlk shenanigans...). Linux tends to be less forgiving than Windows in case something's off.

Comment

I'm talking about RDNA2 chips only.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  This may be very unpopular, but weird crashes occurring all of a sudden without identifiable event during regular desktop usage or gaming, while other users with similar desktop PC setups (not mobile ACPI bug nightmares) experiencing zero issues, is very likely hardware or user config issue (broken hardware, unstable default clocks, hardware bugs, amdvlk shenanigans...). Linux tends to be less forgiving than Windows in case something's off.
                  PSU. It's nearly *always* the PSU.

AFTER that, yeah, that's when you look at timings etc - but do yourself a favor and always that the PSU is really delivering its claimed output (and stably so) first.

Comment

Working...
                  X