Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Seamless Update: Intel Preparing For System Firmware Updates Without The Reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great feature... does this mean the code is reusable for other platforms. will it be available for all users, say by 2022?

dependency on uefi is ok?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

My mom is the more typical type they sell consumer lines to, and she panics if an icon changes design. She went off the deep end when Microsoft started pushing Microsoft accounts on people using Home in the last "feature update". Luckily I talked her past it. And no there's no way on this earth would I try to get her to use Linux outside of her phone.
      Few years back a friend needed their PC worked on, it just started working bad all of a sudden, and while "fixing" it I also set resolution from 1366x768 4:3 to the monitor's native 1920x1080 16:9...I had to, everything looked all fucky to me. They sat down and thought native and correct resolution/aspect ratio was incorrect so I had to set it back to 1366x768.

It was "fixing" because they copy/pasted the C drive to 99% full instead of using the empty D drive.

Consumers

Comment

No single component should be possible to upgrade without physically setting a jumper or something similar. For those that need to update often , leave the jumper on at all times. For the paranoid ones like myself , I would like to keep the jumper off

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I hate rebooting so much. This only solves part of the issue though. You still have the kernel and process/library updates, eh?

Comment

Lol, services with actually legitimate high availability SLAs are built on top of distributed systems that can tolerate the loss of a node without downtime and could care less about this. Anyone that doesn't is lying to themselves.

No one with half a clue tries to build highly available single machine services in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Few years back a friend needed their PC worked on, it just started working bad all of a sudden, and while "fixing" it I also set resolution from 1366x768 4:3 to the monitor's native 1920x1080 16:9...I had to, everything looked all fucky to me. They sat down and thought native and correct resolution/aspect ratio was incorrect so I had to set it back to 1366x768.

It was "fixing" because they copy/pasted the C drive to 99% full instead of using the empty D drive.

Consumers
              Oh, God, don't... so many people I've both met and worked with (or a related to) practice the computer equivalent of the "first available surface" method of filing (h/t: Terry Pratchett, Discworld series, "Going Postal") and just dump everything on the desktop. Icons on icons on icons on files on files, watching them find the right file is like playing One Hundred Poets blindfolded and with your fingers tied together behind your neck.

*shudder*

Bad memories...

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
                Lol, services with actually legitimate high availability SLAs are built on top of distributed systems that can tolerate the loss of a node without downtime and could care less about this. Anyone that doesn't is lying to themselves.

No one with half a clue tries to build highly available single machine services in 2021.
                I don't think it's about single machine services but rather massive farms where it's either a month of gradual deploy or significant degradation during upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                X