Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

How so?
    AFAIK, Intel was already investing into MesaGL long before AMD even had a graphics division, back when ATi was still an independent company with arguably the most horrendous GPU drivers known to mankind.
    I believe ATI had some deals with open source developers to help create the r100 driver back in the day. Not sure if they spent any money on developers themselves or just provided specs. I'd agree that it's misleading to argue that AMD has supported open drivers more than Intel has, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

How so?
      AFAIK, Intel was already investing into MesaGL long before AMD even had a graphics division, back when ATi was still an independent company with arguably the most horrendous GPU drivers known to mankind.
      ATI provided documentation and assistance on open source developers for pretty much all early ATI GPUs (Mach32, Mach64, Rage128, Radeon, R200, R3xx/R4xx). This was long before Intel even had graphics hardware. It trailed off a bit during the R5xx days, but then when AMD bought ATI, AMD started providing documentation and assistance to developers again and hired several people to work on the open source drivers (myself included). The team has been growing ever since. We still had closed source drivers in parallel which focused on workstation, but over time more and move of the driver stack has migrated to open source. Pretty much as long as AMD as owned ATI it has been supporting open source GPU drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I believe ATI had some deals with open source developers to help create the r100 driver back in the day. Not sure if they spent any money on developers themselves or just provided specs. I'd agree that it's misleading to argue that AMD has supported open drivers more than Intel has, though.
        IIRC we funded development of open source drivers back in the Rage Pro (Mach 64) days, working with Precision Insight / VA Linux in the late 90's.

As agd5f said, our focus was open source drivers during most of our history other than the period between ~2002 and 2007. We acquired FireGL around 2001 and inherited the fglrx driver from them. By that time drm was becoming a much bigger deal with other OS vendors and that was making support of open source drivers more difficult, so we tried using fglrx as the primary Linux driver for ATI/AMD GPUs.

Having fglrx as our only driver turned out not to be a complete solution, so with AMD's support we restarted open source GPU driver work and started the process of modifying our hardware so that open source drivers and robust DRM could co-exist.
        Last edited by bridgman; 25 August 2021, 07:26 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X