New Test Release Of Intel X.Org 2.7 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FieserKiller View Post
    It's simply awesome what the intel guys achived thru their hard work on the driver.
    Well, I wouldn't call myself a fanboy, but I'm impressed by the great support they provide (e.g. via bugzilla).

Speaking of 2.7 test release:

Using 2.6.29 + drm-intel-2.6.29, mesa 7.4.1 (from git) and that 2.7-rc3 with DRI2+KMS I could see performance improvements (really, gdm starts much faster and doesn't need 4 seconds to draw any more).

Anyway, for all of you who build mesa 7.4 themselves: I'd recommend to cherry pick commit afc4f7a6ffddc2778b3025c9618c27c6799a3f22 which gets rid of the transparency problems (wrong alpha) with compiz.

Don't know if that commit can introduce problems though - for me it doesn't.

Have fun...

Comment

Originally posted by kxmas View Post
      I doubt it too, but they really should consider it. The performance improvements from 2.6 are enormous.
      Maybe a Phoronix article with benchmarks would help in convince Canonical...

Comment

Originally posted by kxmas View Post
        I doubt it too, but they really should consider it. The performance improvements from 2.6 are enormous.
        How big is "enormous"? My 915 becomes unusable as soon as I have a transparent terminal window open, so any improvement's a good one.

Comment

I already get tear-free XVideo with the intel driver on my netbook:
          Code:
          $ mplayer -vo xv:adaptor=1
          I don't understand what it's all about, but xvinfo says adaptor 0 is "Intel(R) Textured Video" and adaptor 1 is "Intel(R) Video Overlay".

Comment

The overlay video is useless for compiz and probably compositing managers in general, so textured video is the way to go - and it does work (gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r1, mesa-7.4, intel-9999-pre_27 (2.6.99.902 just as well)).

Comment

I'm sure it'll get into jaunty when they release 2.7, they've been keeping up pretty well compared to debian and are at 2.6.3 right now. There's major problems with -intel in jaunty going by the bug tracker that I'm sure they want to fix

Comment

I'm going to buy an mini-ITX board with an Intel 4500HD IGP soon, and wonder if this driver performs well (enough) with that chip? I have an Eee901 with the 950 IGP, and I'm fairly satisfied and look forward to use this new version, but stuff like GLSL doesn't work yet. How much work is still required, or is that purely a Gallium thing? Will an 4500HD ultimately be able to handle id-Tech 4 type engines? Sorry if this is OT... It seems Intel is mostly focusing on 9xx, since 4500 isn't mentioned that much..?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                  How big is "enormous"? My 915 becomes unusable as soon as I have a transparent terminal window open, so any improvement's a good one.
                  Someone needs to do some benchmark. I went back to 2.6.* from the jaunty release and quickly became impatient enough to switch back. I suggest checking out the xorg-edgers ppa and enabling UXA. Find out how big enormous for yourself

Comment

Originally posted by szczerb View Post
                    The overlay video is useless for compiz and probably compositing managers in general, so textured video is the way to go - and it does work (gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r1, mesa-7.4, intel-9999-pre_27 (2.6.99.902 just as well)).
                    I don't care about tearing in Xv. I care about tearing in DRI2/UXA. Has anyone gotten 3D apps (including Compiz) under DRI2 to not tear?

Comment

Working...
                    X