Intel Accelerated: New Node Naming & Ambitious Roadmap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    While the architecture could have been called AMD64, this would have caused confusion among consumers (when they see an "amd64" download they're gonna think "oh, so this is for AMD and not Intel" and use the 32-bit one....).
    i.e. when people see i686 they think it's not an amd cpu? then we should change that naming scheme, right?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      It was AMD that nailed 64bit CPUs on Windows PCs, but did Intel adopted that term as AMD adopted X86? Hell no. It is X86_64 for them and to hell with the accomplishments of our competition, that we choose to not acknowledge that exists.
      Intel called it EM64T. I don't know who came up with x86_64, but, IIRC, Microsoft calls it ia64 (Intel/AMD 64).

(Plus, there may be trademark law reasons... or just plain market confusion reasons. Probably not a good idea to sell a "Microsoft Google" or a "Toyota Ford".)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        i.e. when people see i686 they think it's not an amd cpu? then we should change that naming scheme, right?
        "i686" isn't the same thing as if it had been called "Intel686". That's why Microsoft chose "ia64" (Intel/AMD 64) in place of "amd64" as an architecture-naming keyword.

Comment

"IA" in IA-64 stands for "Intel Architecture". That's not the same architecture as AMD64.

Comment

Dear INTEL, TSMC and Samsung marketing departments,

Your node naming convention is barely understandable. For the sake of users, buyers and professionals, I humbly suggest alternatives.

(1) You can borrow from other parts of the computer industry and use a denomination loved by everybody. Example:

Node 1
            Node 2
            Node 2.1
            Node 3
            Node 3.1
            Node 3.1 Gen 1
            Node 3.1 Gen 2
            Node 3.2 Gen 1
            Node 3.2 Gen 2
            Node 3.2 Gen 2 2x2

As you can see in the USB world they came up with something that everybody understand and like.

(2) Alternatively, you can use whatever names you want because different processes whose results barely have something in common can be named in any manner. Example:

Better Node
            Uber Duper Node
            Ludicrous Speed Node
            La La Land Node
            Stochastic Gust Node
            Heptagonal Fearless Kingpin Node
            Intellectualized Alternative Fact Node
            Totaler Krieg Node

As you can see, a pure horizontal naming convention gives you great vertical effect.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
              "IA" in IA-64 stands for "Intel Architecture". That's not the same architecture as AMD64.
              Funny, because I'm pretty sure that's what Microsoft's download centre was using in the filenames for downloads meant for people running a 64-bit build of Windows on 64-bit AMD Athlon, Opteron, and Duron processors.

In fact, I remember them having retroactively re-christened "x86" as "ia32" in the filenames of the 32-bit counterparts to those downloads.

Comment

Intel sucks, AMD could suck even a lot less if the managers want to...

Comment

Putting hybrid bonding, PowerVia and RibbonFET on the roadmap were significant announcements. Also the early access to the high-NA EUV tools. Also the info that they have the EUV tools needed for the Intel 4 products.

Comment

Working...
                  X