Intel Starts Bringing Up Thunder Bay Full + Prime SoC Support For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Starts Bringing Up Thunder Bay Full + Prime SoC Support For Linux

Phoronix: Intel Starts Bringing Up Thunder Bay Full + Prime SoC Support For Linux

More details are coming to light on "Thunder Bay" as a forthcoming Intel SoC now that the open-source Linux driver enablement patches have begun...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I wanted to start this off with something nice about Intel ARM....maybe a Blame Canada joke over Thunder Bay....well....I got irked instead. I apologize for the rant and feel free to skip over this if you're not from an Intel Marketing Department.

The memory support comes down to 8GB + 8GB + 4GB + 4GB for the Thunder Bay "full" and 8GB + 4GB for the "prime" configuration.
    If someone from Intel Marketing comes here -- those two words mean the same thing in this context. If anything, prime should be better than full.

Here's the definition of prime:

adjective
    of the first importance; demanding the fullest consideration
    of the greatest relevance or significance

noun
    the most flourishing stage or state.

Prime does not mean "the shitty version of a product", it means "the premium version". Goddamn "of the first importance" is the definition for the name y'all gave to your shitty version. Both Prime and Full imply a premium version when that is clearly not the case here.

Is this blatant false advertising? Using a premium sounding name to trick people into buying an inferior product?

I've only been awake for 30 minutes and I caught that marketing bullshit at first glance.

Comment

Even Intel uses ARM, no wonder a lot of licensees are averse to Nvidia take it over. Is not like they need to own ARM to get a better CPU, since Apple showed that you can teak it enough to engage AMD64 head to head.

It may be my aversion to Nvidia speaking, but I cannot see that buy as nothing more than a move to get hid of competition.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Even Intel uses ARM
        While true, this is a result of an acquisition (Movidius) that was already using ARM in their SoC which is targeted towards AI and the core offering capability of the SoC in what they call the VPU (Vision Processing Unit), and it is not surprising the next revision of the product would carry over the ARM usage (it was likely in development even before the original company was acquired). If the company wanted to change out ARM for something else it probably could be done, but there is likely no compelling reason to do so (the ARM chip is in support of the VPU functionality, and is not the core IP being sold).

no wonder a lot of licensees are averse to Nvidia take it over.
        There are many different reasons being offered as to why some companies object to the acquisition. If you peal away the rhetoric, most boil down to money, as it always does.

Is not like they need to own ARM to get a better CPU, since Apple showed that you can teak it enough to engage AMD64 head to head.
        It should be noted that (based on the current understandings) both Nvidia and Apple have an ARM 64-bit architectual license, which gives them certain freedoms to tweak. Not all other companies have that freedom, nor the deep engineering talent to make it work (about half a dozen companies reportedly have a 64-bit architectual license).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Prime does not mean "the shitty version of a product", it means "the premium version". Goddamn "of the first importance" is the definition for the name y'all gave to your shitty version. Both Prime and Full imply a premium version when that is clearly not the case here.
          Reminds me of the old USB naming. USB 1.0 "Full Speed", USB 2.0 "High Speed", USB 3.0 "Super Speed". Which one is better: "Full" or "High" or "Super"? I'm surprised they didn't name USB 4.0 "Top Speed".

Comment

Working...
          X