Intel Working On Implementing GuC Firmware Based Power Management For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    I don't really know why that would be relevant for how Intel names things, but luckily for slashdot, μ is in the 8-bit extended ASCII character set.
    There's no such thing as 8-bit extended ASCII. Did you mean codepage 1252 or codepage 437 or ISO-8859-1, which are specifically for Western European languages?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      There's no such thing as 8-bit extended ASCII.
      I meant whatever this is:

The whole thing about μ was just a throw-away remark, anyhow. Even GμC wouldn't be a very good name, IMO.

Whatever happened to names like Clipper, Blitter, Copper, etc.?

Speaking of Amiga, I just ran across this explanation of the chip names:
      • The name Agnus is derived from 'Address GeNerator UnitS' since it houses all address registers and controls memory access of the custom chips.
      • Denise is a contrived contraction of Display ENabler, intended to continue the naming convention.
      • Paula is a similarly contrived contraction of Ports, Audio, UART and Logic, and coincidentally the chip designer's girlfriend.
      Now those are some names!

Comment

It's a collective name for all encodings that contain ASCII as the lower 127 mappings. More or less every 8-bit encoding you've probably heard of except EBCDIC as well as UTF-8 are "true" Extended ASCII in that, if they don't contain codepoints outside that 0-127 range, they're also compliant ASCII with the same meaning.

Speaking of Amiga, I just ran across this explanation of the chip names:
        • The name Agnus is derived from 'Address GeNerator UnitS' since it houses all address registers and controls memory access of the custom chips.
        • Denise is a contrived contraction of Display ENabler, intended to continue the naming convention.
        • Paula is a similarly contrived contraction of Ports, Audio, UART and Logic, and coincidentally the chip designer's girlfriend.
        Now those are some names!
        Agreed.
        Last edited by ssokolow; 11 July 2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

What good is all this unicode & UTF-8 stuff, when people are just sticking with 7-bit ASCII anyhow? Should be "GμC" !!
          This is kind of on the right track but the problem is unicode is screwed.

test=𝚝𝚎𝚜𝚝 is the same right?? sorry the answer would be no. Yes I could have picked closer https://fontbots.com/weird-text-generator/ does show you a lot of the different unicode ways a simple bit of text could be.

So you may want to limit what chars users can use in file names to avoid insanity. The worst fact is that different styles of same letter have different unicode numbers.

Comment

What good is all this unicode & UTF-8 stuff, when people are just sticking with 7-bit ASCII anyhow? Should be "GμC" !!
            Compatibility is paramount in software design.

Maybe the OS supports UTF-8, but remember:
            - Windows still uses Windows-1252/UTF-16 in several places (!)
            - The firmware of many motherboards may not support UTF-8 well (many just support Windows-1252 or even CP437)

Comment

Working...
            X