Intel Working On Implementing GuC Firmware Based Power Management For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Working On Implementing GuC Firmware Based Power Management For Linux

Phoronix: Intel Working On Implementing GuC Firmware Based Power Management For Linux

Going back to 2017 was work on firmware-based power management for Intel graphics with its GuC implementation. That work didn't advance with the time but now with Intel renewing their work around GuC and with future hardware may mandate this binary-only firmware, they are again revisiting the GuC power management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad they aren't planning this for older whiskey lake systems. Since the CVE related "Soft RC6" workaround my laptop draws ~30% more power during video playback or lightweight gaming.

Comment

I can't find anywhere in the article or it's links what 'GuC' stands for?

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
        I can't find anywhere in the article or it's links what 'GuC' stands for?
        GUC = GRAPHICS MICROCONTROLLER

Comment

came to the comments both to find out what guc means and to express how dumb it is that i had to do so

Comment

Originally posted by nkalkhof View Post
            If that's the case then....

With the GuC microcontroller being in better
            ....we have ourselves an ATM Machine folks.

Edit: or is it technically an ATM Teller Machine?
            Last edited by skeevy420; 10 July 2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nkalkhof View Post
              What good is all this unicode & UTF-8 stuff, when people are just sticking with 7-bit ASCII anyhow? Should be "GμC" !!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

If that's the case then....

....we have ourselves an ATM Machine folks.

Edit: or is it technically an ATM Teller Machine?
                This is what happens when Michael is too lazy to look up the meaning of these short-form expressions himself.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  What good is all this unicode & UTF-8 stuff, when people are just sticking with 7-bit ASCII anyhow? Should be "GμC" !!
                  Speaking of that, Slashdot still flatten UTF-8 punctuation into ASCII gibberish today. It is a mystery what took them forever to not fix it. UTF-8 has been standardized over 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                    Speaking of that, Slashdot still flatten UTF-8 punctuation into ASCII gibberish today. It is a mystery what took them forever to not fix it. UTF-8 has been standardized over 20 years.
                    I don't really know why that would be relevant for how Intel names things, but luckily for slashdot, μ is in the 8-bit extended ASCII character set.

Comment

Working...
                    X