Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Overhauls & Replaces Its RDMA Linux Driver

Phoronix: Intel Overhauls & Replaces Its RDMA Linux Driver

Intel has wrapped up a 3+ year effort to overhaul and replace its existing RDMA (Remote Direct Memory Access) driver. With Linux 5.14 is their shiny new "IRDMA" driver while their former driver is being immediately removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone list some higher-level protocols or popular services that are built atop RDMA?

Comment

I believe that both samba and nfs4 can be configured to take advantage advantage of RDMA. I think MPI (used in some HPC applications) can also use this.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Can anyone list some higher-level protocols or popular services that are built atop RDMA?
        It's Infiniband class hardware and the altered Ethernet drivers to use it are 10GbE+ NICs. Anything that uses Ethernet or any other hardware they adapt to use Infiniband are theoretically capable of running on top of that fabric. This isn't something you're going to find outside of datacenters like NOCs, datawarehouses, etc.

Comment

ZFS (over nfs etc) over RDMA is one use case

Comment

Off the top of my head:

NFS can run over RDMA instead of IP.
            NVMe over Fabrics runs over RDMA.
            SMB Direct runs over RDMA instead of IP.
            MPI can run over RDMA, IIRC.

I think websockets can run over RDNA but I wouldn't swear to it.

Comment

Working...
            X