Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i915g Mesa Driver Now Goes Goes Through NIR, Fixes Some Past Test Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel i915g Mesa Driver Now Goes Goes Through NIR, Fixes Some Past Test Failures

Phoronix: Intel i915g Mesa Driver Now Goes Goes Through NIR, Fixes Some Past Test Failures

While this week's landing of the Crocus Gallium3D driver for Intel Gen4 through Gen7 graphics (i965 through Haswell) in Mesa is exciting for Linux users that are still running aging Intel systems, going back even further has been the i915g Gallium3D driver and there this week there happens to be a big improvement too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is very interesting to follow all the effort going on to clean up Intel drivers these days.
    We have Iris, Crocus, and now i915g.
    To keep the driver names in the same iris family I would suggest to rename i915g to gelasine.
    See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelasine

This is a flower in the iris family like crocus.

Comment

I would propose gelatin instead of gelasine. These old gpus have never been fast but really feel even more like gummy these days.

Comment

The surname Anholt is familiar to me, Emma is not. Is she a sibling of or married to Eric or is it just coincidence that there are 2 unrelated Anholts working in open source software? It's not exactly the most common last name.

In either case, this is good work.

Comment

Originally posted by sravn View Post
          We have Iris, Crocus, and now i915g.
          Now? i915g was the very first Gallium HW driver, originally created almost 14 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            The surname Anholt is familiar to me, Emma is not. Is she a sibling of or married to Eric or is it just coincidence that there are 2 unrelated Anholts working in open source software? It's not exactly the most common last name.

In either case, this is good work.
            I believe Emma has transitioned based on their blog
            Last edited by FireBurn; 18 June 2021, 10:26 AM. Reason: Fixing pronouns

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I believe Emma has transitioned based on their blog
              Ah yeah, seems you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Now? i915g was the very first Gallium HW driver, originally created almost 14 years ago.
                You are of course right, it was more that iris and crocus are in-tree and work is now ongoing to update i915g too. Emma Anholt said somewhere that there is enough to clean up in the driver, and I have fun following all this nice work. Tasks that end up deleting more code than they add has always had a nice appeal to me.

Comment

Goes Goes Goes Goes Goes Goes

Comment

Originally posted by sravn View Post

You are of course right, it was more that iris and crocus are in-tree and work is now ongoing to update i915g too. Emma Anholt said somewhere that there is enough to clean up in the driver, and I have fun following all this nice work. Tasks that end up deleting more code than they add has always had a nice appeal to me.
                    Code deletion sparks joy

Comment

Working...
                    X