Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel M.2 Modem Driver "IOSM" Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.14

Phoronix: Intel M.2 Modem Driver "IOSM" Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.14

As part of Intel's new M.2 modem push for EVO laptops and Chromebooks, open-source Intel engineers have been working on "IOSM" as their new M.2 modem driver and this code which has been in the works for months is set to see its debut with the Linux 5.14 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have the Lenovo card by Fibocom which uses the Intel XMM technology and its been a miss on Linux and the modem manager so far. I look forward to this release.

On Windows, it just works....on Linux too much futzing & tweaking.

Comment

This whole WWAN thing in computers or tablets always seemed strange to me, but maybe it is a cultural thing. Why do this when you could just tether your phone over USB or WiFi hotspot? Here in Sweden at least, if I would want to get a second SIM card attached to my plan it would cost money (per month even). Tethering doesn't cost me anything. Oh and the model of a device that has a SIM slot tends to be more expensive as well.

Maybe this works differently in other countries, but as it is I fail to see the appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
        This whole WWAN thing in computers or tablets always seemed strange to me, but maybe it is a cultural thing. Why do this when you could just tether your phone over USB or WiFi hotspot? Here in Sweden at least, if I would want to get a second SIM card attached to my plan it would cost money (per month even). Tethering doesn't cost me anything. Oh and the model of a device that has a SIM slot tends to be more expensive as well.

Maybe this works differently in other countries, but as it is I fail to see the appeal.
        In the USA with "all you can eat" broadband accounts, there are plans where you can add a tablet or device like a laptop at little expense to the user for always on WWAN.

Many companies issue laptops with WWAN to their field workers as well.

In my particular case I am building an IoT device with WWAN and do not want to use a USB device or USB mode.

I can throw in a SIM from my unlimited account and use it for routing or data collection where I see fit. The IoT device has better antennas and therefore way better S/N than a phone can get.

On a side note, If modern phones had an antenna port like they used to I might look at this differently, in fact I wish the phone makers would support a "USB-C Antenna mode" where you could plug a high gain antenna directly into the phone to increase range and performance. In some of the expansive areas of the US, service can get weak or spotty and a good antenna can make a difference.

I know that may be unusual for our euro cousins, but there are still lots of dark or weak territory in the US for LTE service. There is a tax on our cellular bills to help close these gaps, but the carriers are incredibly inefficient at the use of those funds. Hence, SpaceX and Starlink.

Comment

Working...
        X