Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's ConnMan 1.40, IWD 1.15 Released For Linux Networking

Phoronix: Intel's ConnMan 1.40, IWD 1.15 Released For Linux Networking

A number of Intel's open-source projects have been seeing new released this week presumably for making Q2/H1-2021 goals, including two of the networking projects maintained by the company: the ConnMan connection manager and IWD wireless daemon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone tried them? How are they in comparison to others?

What about features?

What about stability and robustness?

Tons of rants about wpa_supplicant and more used connection managers, but I'm not sure if competitors reached the feature parity and stability of those or even surpassed them. It would be amazing if skilled Linux sysadmins and developers check it for the rest of us mere mortals

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Anyone tried them? How are they in comparison to others?

What about features?

What about stability and robustness?

Tons of rants about wpa_supplicant and more used connection managers, but I'm not sure if competitors reached the feature parity and stability of those or even surpassed them. It would be amazing if skilled Linux sysadmins and developers check it for the rest of us mere mortals
      IWD is excellent and can be used as a backend for networkmanager, so it’s pretty seamless.

Never tried ConnMan personally.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

IWD is excellent and can be used as a backend for networkmanager, so it’s pretty seamless.

Never tried ConnMan personally.
        Same! I've been using iwd for years already, first as a NetworkManager backend, now just straight―works well and getting better all the time. Mostly I rely on Ctrl-R to find the command to scan/connect to networks. Now I'm wondering if ConnMan would be a good minimal connection manager... I should try it soon.

Comment

I use IWD with NetworkManager. I've used ConnMan in the past, but I had mixed results. The first time I tried it, it worked like crap. The second time I tried it, 1,5 years ago, it worked much better, but it didn't really feel all that speedier to me, although it was more robust than NetworkManager that loses connection from time to time. Maybe I'll give ConnMan another try.

Comment

IWD doesn't store (and i didn't see any option to turn it on) WiFi passwords as a plain text (what I require), so I'll stay with wpa_supplicant probably for a long time.

Comment

https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/ne...-configuration looks like storing wifi passwords in plain text to me. What am I missing StarterX4

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                IWD doesn't store (and i didn't see any option to turn it on) WiFi passwords as a plain text (what I require), so I'll stay with wpa_supplicant probably for a long time.
                O, so the following documentation is incorrect then?
                https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/ne...-configuration

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

O, so the following documentation is incorrect then?
                  https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/ne...-configuration
                  Yeah, you can create network's file with a plain text password on your own, and IWD will take it, but when you connect to the network through IWD or NetworkManager with IWD without creating that file manually, it's encrypted, that's what i mean. Wpa_supplicant doesn't encrypt it.

Comment

Working...
                  X