X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    The problem is, it doesn't seem to be brief spans of time. Every Intel CPU I've used since the 7700K has tried its best to stay beyond its maximum all-core-boost clocks... for desktop CPUs it's not really an issue with a decent cooler (beyond sucking down a lot more power than the trumpeted specs would indicate) but on a laptop and my little NUC, it's quite noticeable just how much the fan stays at full speed.
    I don't expect laptops to boost longer than Intel recommends, other than in gaming laptops. If anything, most laptops will probably boost below Intel's specifications, in order to save money, weight, and bulk on the cooling solution.

Also, your NUC's fan speed isn't a good indicator of whether the CPU is running beyond the recommended power limits. There's a way you can read how much power the CPU is using, though I don't speak from firsthand experience.

As long as the tiny one doesn't vanish in favour of the Shuttle-not-a-Shuttle...
    The NUC11-series was announced near the beginning of the year. In some markets, you might only find the NUC11 Pro, which are still the same thing + a few extra features. They both have (mostly) Tiger Lake quad-core, though the bottom tier almost certainly has some Gracemont-based Jasper Lake or whatever.

Honestly, if this had a few more cores, I'd be interested in it
    It has 8 cores/16-threads and a 1-core boost clock of 5.3 GHz.

If you need more than that, you're either in Ryzen or HEDT/workstation territory.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    From what I've read, the boost specs are for 50W. Of course, that should be time limited. So, you'd better not mind your laptop sounding like a hairdryer, for brief spans of time.
    The problem is, it doesn't seem to be brief spans of time. Every Intel CPU I've used since the 7700K has tried its best to stay beyond its maximum all-core-boost clocks... for desktop CPUs it's not really an issue with a decent cooler (beyond sucking down a lot more power than the trumpeted specs would indicate) but on a laptop and my little NUC, it's quite noticeable just how much the fan stays at full speed.

However, don't get confused between the CPUs in this article and their new 2nd gen NUC Extreme (gen1 was Coffee Lake-based). The NUC Extreme products use what is essentially a desktop CPU (the 8-core Tiger Lake H-series) and an actual desktop GPU. This article is about the U-series 4-core Tiger Lake range, which supposedly are used in the traditional mini-STX NUC form factor.
    As long as the tiny one doesn't vanish in favour of the Shuttle-not-a-Shuttle...

Well, if you know you're going to use a GPU from the outset, then this is a cheaper, more compact, and better-performing option. I don't actually object to the product, itself -- just the name. Don't forget that Thunderbolt limits you to PCIe 3.0 x4 and I think the new NUC extreme has a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot. And that's going to result in a measurable difference (if not always a huge one) in most things.
    Most of the time, my little NUC with Iris Pro graphics does exactly what I need it to without requiring a dGPU. It's just that, like my current laptop, there are times when I'd really like to be able to do some things which basically mean I need to throw a (half decent) CUDA GPU at them. Both for quickly visualising something without having to wait for a dedicated processing box to finish its current run, and for just tossing some proof-of-concept code together. For either purpose, Thunderbolt serves its purpose without imposing too bad a bottleneck. But I guess my use case is a bit rare.

Honestly, if this had a few more cores, I'd be interested in it (depending on price, of course) to replace my old mini-ITX box which is in a Raijintek Metis (about 14L, I think?)... I've been trying to find a replacement for it for a while, as I've become really sick of how poor the cooling is. A single intake, and no exhaust is... not ideal.

But calling it a NUC is... misleading, given what the NUC line was originally proposed to be.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Really curious to know just how much attention the chip pays to that 28W TDP, or whether it'll happily suck down 50W+... with commensurate heat output.
    From what I've read, the boost specs are for 50W. Of course, that should be time limited. So, you'd better not mind your laptop sounding like a hairdryer, for brief spans of time.

I'm really, really disappointed in Intel's announced new NUC. 8L volume? The whole point of the NUC was tiny, full PC. At 8L, it's basically an Intel-branded Shuttle.
    That's exactly what it is. NUC (Next Unit of Computing) was once Intel's attempt to define desktop computing in the post-PC era. Now, it has become just another meaningless branding name.

However, don't get confused between the CPUs in this article and their new 2nd gen NUC Extreme (gen1 was Coffee Lake-based). The NUC Extreme products use what is essentially a desktop CPU (the 8-core Tiger Lake H-series) and an actual desktop GPU. This article is about the U-series 4-core Tiger Lake range, which supposedly are used in the traditional mini-STX NUC form factor.

I don't want or need the ability to stick a 30cm GPU in a NUC. If I need an external GPU, just makes sure the box has 2-4 Thunderbolt ports, then I can hang what I want off it.
    Well, if you know you're going to use a GPU from the outset, then this is a cheaper, more compact, and better-performing option. I don't actually object to the product, itself -- just the name. Don't forget that Thunderbolt limits you to PCIe 3.0 x4 and I think the new NUC extreme has a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot. And that's going to result in a measurable difference (if not always a huge one) in most things.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Really curious to know just how much attention the chip pays to that 28W TDP, or whether it'll happily suck down 50W+... with commensurate heat output. Of course, it'll all be blamed on the manufacturers. Not Intel's fault at all that they don't stick to specifications when it provides a marketing advantage. Not like Intel haven't given strict requirements for use of their equipment before.

edit: (As I forgot to comment on coder's first post ) I'm really, really disappointed in Intel's announced new NUC. 8L volume? The whole point of the NUC was tiny, full PC. At 8L, it's basically an Intel-branded Shuttle. I don't want or need the ability to stick a 30cm GPU in a NUC. If I need an external GPU, just makes sure the box has 2-4 Thunderbolt ports, then I can hang what I want off it.
    Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 31 May 2021, 09:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spacefish
    replied
    How much TDP is acceptable in a portable computing device like a notebook or convertible?
    Intel: Yes!

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I sure hope they'll have nice open source drivers for these 5G chips. Although, given it's form third party manufacturers, probably not. It'll probably end up being like PowerVR.........
    They got MediaTek involved, one of the worst offenders when it comes to open source or timely updates.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    The Intel 5G Solution 5000
    Sounds like it was from The Jetsons or Futurama.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Too bad most reviewers out there don't investigate sustained clock frequencies and help keep Intel's image in those difficult times.
    It's a boost frequency, which is time-limited. There's no secret about that.

Now, where things get a bit shady is that laptop vendors can tune the boost parameters, based on the power and thermal characteristics of their system. So, you won't necessarily get the same performance as Intel claims, and it can vary from one model to the next.

What's also shady is that some gaming boards allow the CPUs to boost indefinitely, which skews benchmarks, especially if the test system has better cooling than the typical user (as is often the case).

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Intel sure loves that 5Ghz number. Keep hitting that drum relentlessly. Too bad most reviewers out there don't investigate sustained clock frequencies and help keep Intel's image in those difficult times.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Video transcoding won't scale based on the number of EUs. It's pretty much fixed.​​​​​
    But they know it's a use case, so I'm expecting it to be improved over their Gen9 iGPUs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X